Who We Are
Boston Consulting Group partners with leaders in business and society to tackle their most important challenges and capture their greatest opportunities. BCG was the pioneer in business strategy when it was founded in 1963. Today, we help clients with total transformation-inspiring complex change, enabling organizations to grow, building competitive advantage, and driving bottom-line impact.
To succeed, organizations must blend digital and human capabilities. Our diverse, global teams bring deep industry and functional expertise and a range of perspectives to spark change. BCG delivers solutions through leading-edge management consulting along with technology and design, corporate and digital ventures-and business purpose. We work in a uniquely collaborative model across the firm and throughout all levels of the client organization, generating results that allow our clients to thrive.
Practice Area Profile
Climate change is not a future threat-it's an immediate one. BCG's Climate & Sustainability practice (C&S) partners with businesses and governments to help them transform commitments into action and build a decarbonized, more sustainable world, driving technological and economic transformations to realize sustainable competitive advantage.
As part of our commitment to protecting the planet and helping clients achieve sustainable competitive advantage, BCG is deepening and broadening its focus. C&S brings together more than 550 experts covering the full range of sustainability topics, including biodiversity, circular economy, decarbonization, sustainable agriculture, transition financing, water management, and other ESG topics-across all sectors-to support our clients around the world.
What You'll Do
BCG is looking for Project Leaders, Principals, or Experts focused on portfolio decarbonization & climate action plans to join our Climate & Sustainability team and work alongside some of the world's top minds in the industry. You will play a critical role in the growth of our portfolio decarbonization & climate action planning topic expertise through case execution, client development, and intellectual property and product creation. To help tackle climate change, and move to a more sustainable and equitable future, BCG helps clients transform to optimize for societal and business value. Our clients are facing more pressure than ever to rethink their role in society and improve their impact on people and the planet. Our Climate & Sustainability practice seeks to help our private and public sector clients take on difficult challenges across a range of sectors and topics including natural resources, power & renewables, industrials, consumer goods & retail, and financial institutions.
At BCG you will become a pivotal member of our team, working alongside some of the world's top minds on the forefront of climate & sustainability topics. You will collaborate closely with team members from many backgrounds, advising clients across industries on how to equitably achieve their net zero ambitions and reach their sustainability goals. Current openings span levels and depth of expertise, meaning the type of work you will focus in could vary.
Leveraging your experience, you will develop industry-leading solutions to help our clients succeed by:
* Working closely with case teams to support private equity funds and their portfolio companies in developing tailored climate action strategies and decarbonization roadmaps, including both high level strategies and detailed implementation plans
* Helping funds understand considerations behind adopting net-zero or emissions reduction targets and actions needed to achieve targets, including efforts required across different types of portfolio companies (e.g., region, industry, company size, investment type, etc.)
* Defining and creating climate action strategic frameworks and approaches tailored to different client contexts (e.g., industry, geography, size, type, etc.)
* Bringing right-fit measurement and management tools to GPs and portfolio companies, including relevant BCG offerings, partnerships, and third-party solutions
* Monitoring industry trends-including actions taken by LPs and GPs, standards adopted, and new initiatives-to help funds understand where the industry is developing and what best-in-class could look like
* Monitoring and analyzing relevant regulations and potential strategic and operational impacts on carbon reporting and broader climate disclosure requirements
* Serving as a strategic thought partner and integrating with our broader Climate & Sustainability team to actively help with our Seat at the Table, industry leading publications, and client business development efforts
* Serving as a key topic expert for our Climate & Sustainability practice on portfolio decarbonization and climate action planning and working with other sector experts to bring best-in-class decarbonization and climate action planning to private equity portfolio companies
BCG Experts are integrated into a BCG team and leverage deep expertise on projects that reshape businesses. They are given end-to-end responsibility for large and complex "modules" within a BCG project, may lead small but high-impact teams to drive results for our clients, and contribute to BCG's intellectual capital. They work closely with clients to understand their issues, create strategies for change, and win buy-in for recommendations, while also collaborating with colleagues on complex client issues.
BCG Project Leaders and Principals lead case teams, engage with and present to senior clients, direct projects to define client needs, manage project scoping and work module development, supervise research activities, and participate in business development. They oversee the formulation of hypotheses for research and investigation, as well as advanced analysis to identify opportunities. Project Leaders and Principals are also responsible for continuously developing the firm's knowledge and capabilities and play a key role in the development and maintenance of high-level client relationships.
What You'll Bring (Experience & Qualifications)
* 5+ years of consulting experience with a focus in portfolio decarbonization & climate action planning and/or industry experience
* Knowledge of key topics in one or more of: decarbonization, net-zero, climate action strategic framework development, carbon reporting
* Ability to develop leading edge business models, frameworks for analysis, and long-term business strategies that maximize shareholder value.
* As appropriate based on tenure, proven ability to manage client engagements, client relationships, and provide "thought leadership" to teams, owning the responsibility for the quality of engagements. A combination of management and "hands on" delivery experience is critical
* Excellent communication skills; able to explain complex industry concepts in non-technical terms
*YOU'LL BE BASED IN*
We will consider candidates for any of our North American offices.
*YOU'LL BE TRAVELING*
Travel is expected and will vary based on project needs.
Candidates should be aware that BCG currently maintains a policy requiring all US & Canada based employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Newly hired employees must be fully vaccinated prior to their employment start date. BCG is an equal opportunity employer and will provide a reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons where it is not an undue hardship to the company to do so as provided under applicable federal, state, provincial and local law.