Fermilab is America's premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.Open Date: June 23, 2022Close Date: July 15, 2022
The Natural Resources group is seeking a Natural Resources Specialist to work part time to assist in the development, maintenance, and execution of the Fermilab ecological land management effort, including prairie, wetland, and woodland management, invasive species control, plant monitoring, data collection and database management, and wildlife conservation.You Will:
We Are Looking For:
- Leads database design efforts, gathers requirements and information from users and incorporates these in the design of the database
- Maintains the existing database including the VBA code. Enters all ecological and related date in the database.
- Integrates ecology data with the Fermilab GIS program.
- Oversees and conducts botanical surveys, collects and classifies data, and maintain records for the Fermilab ecological land management effort, including prairie, wetland, and woodland management; invasive species control, and wildlife management.
- Contributes to database design efforts, regularly gathers requirements and information from users for specific projects and obtains feedback. Administers data standrads, procedures,, and authors design notes.
- Provides knowledge and utilizes available scientific data to support the Ecological Land Management Plan (ELM Plan) goals and objectives.
- Offers assistance and mentorship to Fermilab summer sutdents, interns, and volunteers.
- Performs other duties as assigned by reporting supervisor.
- Abides by and is responsible for performing all duties in accordance with all environmental, health and safety regulations and practices pertinent to this position.
Minimum required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Ecology or related field and a minimum 3+ years of experience.
Applicable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required:
Physical Activity and Work Conditions:
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Access and Excel including the ability to design forms, queries and reports and maintain code written in VBA
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- State of Illinois Pesticide operator or applicator license or ability and willingness to obtain the license within 6 months.
- S-130 and S-190 prescribed burn training or ability and willingness to obtain training within 6 months.
- Ecological land management methods, habitat restoration practices, prescribed burning experience, invasive species control, native plant identification, capable with GIS programs, experience working with volunteers and students.
Human Factors:Heavy Lifting, Mental Concentration, Sitting, Standing, Tight Work Schedule, Repetitive Motion, Visually Demanding
Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
Repetitive lifting of moderate weight.
Ability to climb stairs and ladders. Also stand for up to 4-hours per day.
Ability and willingness to work occasional overtime on short notice in response to operational and emergency requirements.
Ability to legally operate cars and light trucks.
Personal Protective Equipment: Eye/Face Protection, Foot Protection, Hand Protection, Hearing Protection, Respirators(dust masks)
FRA encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated and boosted to prevent transmission of COVID-19 and to mitigate against severe illness from infection. Upon employment with FRA, all employees must state their vaccination status. Please note that all vaccination and testing requirements are subject to change. Testing of unvaccinated employees may be required for Fermilab site access, depending on community transmission levels.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes a diverse and inclusive environment based on mutual respect is essential to our mission. Fermilab is committed to recruiting and developing the most hardworking people and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, country of birth, geography/postal code, disability, marital status, parental or gestational status, or other non-merit factor.