LyondellBasell Industries, is seeking a Physical Testing Laboratory Research Scientist for our Cincinnati Technology Center (CTC), a state-of-the-art polymers research center supporting LyondellBasell's North American Polymers business. The Polymer Research Scientist provides subject matter expertise in polymer/property/process relationships and fracture mechanics.
Roles & Responsibilities
Roles & Responsibilities
The Physical Testing Laboratory Research Scientist supports physical property analysis for LyondellBasell's PE, PE Specialties, PP and Catalloy polyolefin products in flexible / extrusion (e.g., packaging film, etc.) and rigid / molding (e.g., blow molding, injection molding, pipe, etc.) applications. The responsibilities of the position include:
• Serve as a Subject Matter Expert for Lyondellbasell and mentor others in area of fracture mechanics, physical testing method fundamentals and PE/PP structure-property relationships.
• Collaborate with Technical Service Engineers to resolve customer product performance issues.
• Collaborate with Product Development Engineers and provide fracture mechanics support to interpretation of physical testing results.
• Develop small scale test methods that predict end product performance to speed product development.
• Lead in team to harmonize physical property testing across corporate R&D site in both the U.S. and Europe.
• Conduct and lead individual research to identify sources of variability in ASTM/ISO tests and elucidate their interplay with material morphology. Assist with publication of in department fundamental research.
• Remain current with physical property testing method and equipment advances
• Main areas of research include pipe failure methods (slow crack growth, brittle fracture and long term hydrostatic testing), environmental stress crack failure, polymer process modeling to predict long term performance test results, seal strength measurement/theory and impact fracture mechanisms.
• The position requires a PhD in Chemical Engineering, Polymer/Material Science, Engineering or other directly-related technical field, minimum of 20 years of relevant experience.
• The candidate must demonstrate a strong understanding of polymer processing technologies, resin characterization methods and product performance testing.
• Subject matter expert in fracture mechanics, LEFM, creep master curve development
• Problem Solving & Decision Making, Initiative, Results Orientation, Teamwork, Communication, and Innovation & Creativity are required for the position.
• Strong leadership, technological orientation, communication, and project management skills are essential for this position.
Builds effective teams
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2022, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for the fifth consecutive year.
We have the potential - and responsibility - to use this scale and reach to make a positive impact across our value chains. That's why we are working to make meaningful progress to address some of the world's most pressing challenges such as reducing plastic waste in the environment, helping to mitigate climate change and contributing to a thriving society for our employees, the communities where we operate and the people who depend on our products. To learn more, click here.
Nearest Major Market: Cincinnati