The goal of this internship is to utilize interns to record observational data of a variety of species within Animal Care Regions throughout the Zoo. Using a Microsoft Excel based worksheets (which will be utilized on the Google Sheets app); interns will observe each animal, as designated by region. This program will allow for observations to be taken on an iPad, which can then be exported for analysis. Through the information that is obtained interns will work with Animal Care Professionals to assess and make appropriate changes to improve Animal Welfare.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, working alongside full-time keeper staff in learning basic animal behaviors and group dynamics, observing animals and reporting any behavioral changes, and performing other duties as assigned. Interns will also be required to complete various quizzes, training, projects and presentation, and a final reflection paper assigned by the departments.
Enrichment and Training, Ethogram development, become familiar with AZA Animal Care and Welfare standards, and developing an understanding of species natural history and functional behaviors.
- Student or recent graduate (2 years or less) in Zoology, Biology, Wildlife Management, Animal Science, Veterinary Medicine or related program.
- 3.0 or above accumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale preferred.
- TB test required.
- Prior animal care experience preferred.
- Experience with conducting ethograms on zoological animals is preferred, but not required
- Ability to balance multiple assignments successfully.
- Proficient on Microsoft Excel
- Able to use tablet to input data using Google Sheets and Microsoft Excel programs.
- Ability to use Zoom for weekly meetings
- Strong computer skills, ability to work with pivot tables and excel spreadsheets.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be neat in appearance and maintain courteous behavior at all times.
- Ability to work in varied weather conditions (i.e. extreme heat, cold, rain, snow).
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, evenings and holidays (July 4th, Memorial Day, Columbus Day) required.
- Subject to BMV check.
- Subject to Criminal Background check.
- Due to the safety of our staff and animals, individuals must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
This position will require a negative 2-Step TB Test. Please keep in mind that the TB Test must either be completed prior to a COVID-19 Vaccination or administered 28 days from the last COVID-19 vaccination.
Hours: Minimum of 20 hours/week for 12 to 16 weeks
External Company URL: TestUserAdmin
Street: 4850 Powell Road
Park: The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium