Job Location: Chicago
Want to make an impact?
The Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Sr. Manager - Sugar, oversees the Environmental, Health, Safety and Security programs across multiple locations in Illinois (Bellwood, Chicago, DeKalb, Forest Park and Itasca) ensuring compliance with all federal, state and local regulations, standards, procedures and company policies. The EHS Sr. Manger is responsible for full integration of safety and environmental management systems into the facilities operations and will work with each facility's leadership team and EHS team to ensure the facility safety and environmental goals are met. The EHS Sr. Manager will provide collaborative, proactive, and creative problem-solving ability to develop best-in-class EHS programs for the continuous improvement of the overall EHS strategy.
Ways you will make a difference
• Provides the leadership, direction and support necessary to ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and standards to meet or exceed relevant internal and external safety & environmental standards in a manner consistent with sound business practice
• Serve as a subject matter expert for OSHA, PSM (Process Safety Management) EPA, RMP (Risk Management Plan) programs.
• Provide visibility of safety, health, and environmental progress, performance in both leading and lagging measures of the EHS program
• Develop and implement EHS programs that promote safe work practices, employee engagement, and metrics improvement
• Contributes in the development, maintenance and reporting of PSM, RMP, Wastewater, Solid Waste, Hazardous Waste, Universal Waste, Used Oil, and Storm water programs
• Educates, trains, coaches and provides support to operations in the development and execution of consistent safety and environmental management programs
• In conjunction with the Human Resources organization, providing EHS leadership to the company wellness efforts and workers compensation program
• Works with the Engineering and Quality teams as a collaborative partner to identify, address and review all aspects of the PRP (Project Review Process) for installation of new equipment and the MOC (Management of Change) process for changes to existing process and equipment to assure proper safety standards and requirements are met and being applied
• Executes, measures, and monitors process to assess the overall safety and environmental performance and identifies opportunities for improvement
• Perform risk assessments and assist in the implementation of effective physical and/or behavioral control measures. Recognize and verify the effectiveness of in-place control measures
• Identify unsafe equipment operation and conditions while demonstrating knowledge of appropriate corrective action for unsafe conditions or equipment use
• Collaborating with other facilities in effort to facilitate EHS knowledge and share opportunities (e.g., risks, best practices, common audit findings, lessons learned); foster peer communication and interaction between groups
• Oversee regulatory compliance audits/inspections and associated record keeping
• Drives key effective, sustainable implementation of Corporate and Site EHS initiatives, strategies, programs and procedures, responsibilities via hands on leadership, coaching and team work
• Reviews incident and injury reporting and analyzes data to identify trends
• Leads and ensures thorough investigation of all incidents, in coordination with Site leadership
• Fosters/develops a culture where everyone is actively engaged in performing their work in a safe manner and workers hold each other accountable to prevent at-risk behaviors
• Provide leadership and direction in the development, and oversight of EHS compliance and continuous improvement program elements to identify opportunities for risk reduction
• Manage processes related to third-party EHS Legal Compliance Auditing, EHS Capital Expenditure (CapEx) Budget for Sugar and partner with sites to identify/plan for EHS-related CapEx Projects.
Skills that will make you successful
• Ability to build teams throughout all levels and functions with multi-site responsibility with respect, tact and win-win outcomes.
• Outstanding leadership; ability to advocate and gain trust at all levels of an organization
• Extensive working and detailed knowledge of OSHA and regulatory compliance inspection procedures and safety standards
• Decision-making; must be capable of making well-informed decisions in both routine and emergency situations.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills are required along with the ability able to communicate with audiences that have a broad range of background and understanding.
• Thorough knowledge of Process Safety Management (PSM) and Risk Management Plan (RMP)
• High attention to detail is needed to maintain awareness of existing and proposed safety codes/regulations and company guidelines plus maintain and analyze appropriate data
• Must be proactive as well as solve problems and make decisions in time sensitive conditions
• Understanding of fire codes, standards, and regulations (NFPA)
• Strong presentation skills; ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization
• Ability to develop programs to reduce worker's compensation, recordable injury and lost time injury rates
• Must demonstrate good insight and ability to develop mutual solutions to challenges.
• Apply ergonomic principles and recommend improvements with engineering or administrative controls
• Understand biomechanics and human interaction/impact with machinery and work stations
• Oversee incident investigation and preparation of CAPA reports for prevention of recurring incidents across multiple manufacturing sites
• Requires the ability to effectively manage personnel and budget to meet targeted objectives
• Knowledge of manufacturing practices and processes
• Able to work well in a team environment or independently
• Strong analytical skills to evaluate performance metrics and outcomes.
• Passion and capability to work with all levels of the organization including senior leaders, managers, and hourly employees.
• Demonstrates excellent leadership, collaboration, coaching/training, motivational, communications, influencing, negotiating and selling skills at all levels
• Understands, demonstrates and is a role model of the Company's Operating Principles; Agile, Collaborative, Empowering and Leading with Integrity
Experiences that will support your success
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Occupational Safety, Environmental Sciences or related field, or a combination of education and experience related to the position
• Demonstrated 5-10 years of experience working in a safety and environmentally conscious manufacturing environment
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in successfully coordinating EHS sustainability activities in a manufacturing setting
• Demonstrated ability to successfully implement programs and drive initiatives across multiple sites.
• Knowledge of laws and regulations regarding OSHA, NFPA, DOT and EPA
• Strong technical expertise in manufacturing safety and knowledge of safety processes
• An EHS-related certification such as (CSHO, WSO, OSHT, CET, CHMM, ASP, CSP) a plus • Experience leading culture change and developing/implementing management systems
• Prior experience with Process Safety Management and Risk Management programs preferred
• Knowledge of Management Systems (i.e. ISO 14001,18001, 45001, VPP, SMS)
• Ability to travel locally (50% - 75%) to sites in Illinois, no overnights