Performs routine microbiological testing of food and environmental samples for under aseptic conditions for qualitative and quantitative parameters, focusing on sample preparation and plating responsibilities. Shared responsibility for non-routine sample preparation and more advanced techniques, including investigation support and preparation of samples for pathogen detection platforms.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Perform sample set up, dilutions and plating activities on food and environmental samples following aseptic techniques and standard operating procedures.
- Perform equipment monitoring and verification on basic laboratory items such as balances, fridges, incubators, pipettes, etc.
- Support routine laboratory operations through tasks such as sample archiving, media preparation, cleaning and waste disposal.
- Ensure accurate and complete traceability and documentation of testing activities performed.
- Ensure samples are processed efficiently to meet client expectations for turnaround time.
- Identify, communicate and document non-conformities with methodologies, and assist with troubleshooting, assessment of root cause and subsequent implementation of corrective actions.
- Identify and assist with implementation of process improvements
- As required, perform sample set-up and loading for rapid pathogen detection instruments (e.g. PCR).
- For responsibilities within area of responsibility, provide training for other laboratory staff.
- Adhere to lab safety procedures and reporting standards.
- Follow written Standard Operating Procedures and Work Instructions.
- Other duties may be assigned to assist with the operations of the lab.
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum Associates Degree in Sciences and/or at least 4 years working in a commercial lab environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team.
- Positive outlook with the ability to adapt to a changing environment