Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is seeking an individual to support nationally significant epidemiologic studies working with government scientists from EPA and other agencies in exposure-related public health and epidemiology research. In this role you will manage the day-to-day activities of ongoing research involving field studies and literature reviews. You will also lead the collection, processing, and analysis of environmental samples and associated data; and the collection, processing, and analysis of biospecimens and associated data.
This role is based in Rockville, Maryland and is remote eligible.
• Conducting literature reviews in the areas of environmental exposure to chemical compounds and biological pathogens and human health effects.
• Working with study collaborators and project staff to develop and implement study protocols including preparing data collection forms, procedural manuals, monitoring reports, and final study reports.
• Training and overseeing data and sample collection including working with sample collection staff and laboratories; developing requirements for sample and specimen management systems.
• Identifying and evaluating analysis laboratories and sample/biospecimen repositories and receiving and analyzing laboratory data.
• Developing cost estimates for study activities.
• Some travel to domestic field study sites will be required.
• A master's degree in public health, environmental health, industrial hygiene, microbiology, chemistry, or a related field and 8 years of experience is required.
• At least one year of experience related to the collection and analysis of environmental samples or biospecimens for epidemiologic and survey research.
• At least two years of experience in project or study management.
You will use your strong communication skills to collaborate with the internal team and clients. You will also have proven administrative skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks.
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Eligible employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Protecting the health and safety of our employees and survey participants is a top priority for Westat. As a federal government contractor, Westat will require Westat staff, regardless of work location, to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon hire and to follow all safety protocols, subject to approved accommodations under applicable law.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.
Senior Study Director - Environmental Health Science | Westat