Loxo@Lilly conducts discovery research, clinical development and regulatory affairs for oncology, with the goal of creating a pipeline of therapies that have the potential to make a meaningful difference for patients. Loxo@Lilly was created in December 2019, combining the Lilly Research Laboratories oncology organization and Loxo Oncology, which was acquired by Lilly in early 2019. The unit has team members in Louisville, CO, Indianapolis, IN, New York City, NY, South San Francisco, CA, San Diego, CA, Stamford, CT, and Madrid, Spain.
The Discovery Biology team will be part of a multi-disciplinary effort focused on bringing forward innovative cancer drug therapies. The Director will be responsible for leading a research team to identify the next generation of molecular targets for cancer therapeutics. Experience in systems biology, molecular and cell biology, and/or chemical biology is required. The Director will lead the discovery and early validation of oncology targets through close collaborations with other discovery and translational functions.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Position
* Lead cross-functional teams that will be responsible for novel small and large molecule target discovery , and Validation including Discovery Biology team members in SSF and NYC
* Supervise and mentor PhD and non-PhD scientists engaged in target identification and validation to think deeply and work creatively while delivering excellent scientific results and insights to the project teams and their colleagues
* Develop and implement strategies that will enable Discovery Biology team members to continually advance internal drug development efforts through our discovery, clinical and research programs
* Innovate technologies and methods to advance our discovery projects
* Engage leaders across Loxo Oncology at Lilly to identify, credential, and advance new targets and serve as a liaison for the Discovery Biology team and the company at large
* Provide strategic input, in partnership with Discovery leadership, into computational and experimental validation for key new targets
* Contribute to due diligence evaluation of external opportunities, participate in KOL engagement around target programs, and help identify academic and industry partnerships and collaboration.
Required Qualifications and Background
* PhD in systems biology, molecular & cellular biology, chemical biology, or related field
* Minimum of 8-10 years research experience following post-doctoral training with prior experience in target discovery/credentialing and cancer biology in the biotech or pharma setting
* Extensive experience in areas of cancer biology and cancer genomics
* Demonstrated evidence for the ability to partner with computational biologists to leverage systems-scale datasets
* Expertise in designing and commissioning studies using a variety of research tools in cancer cell lines and murine models of cancer
* Experience in leading PhD level scientists
* Outstanding communication, writing, and presentation skills is a must
* Highly organized with excellent analytical, documentation and multi-tasking skills
* Provide strategic input to target identification and validation strategy to leadership team
* Ability to collaborate, lead, and influence others
Additional Preferred Qualifications
* Experience with cell engineering, and ex vivo and in vivo models of cancer
* Experience with incorporating massively parallel genetic screening data in target identification and credentialing workflow (ie CRISPR screens)
* Experience with early clinical trial studies and the development and implementation of pharmacodynamic and patient selection biomarker assays
* Experience working with external CROs to optimize internal/external resources
Loxo Oncology, Inc. (Loxo) currently anticipates that the base salary for this position level could range from between $135,300 to $198,516 and will depend, in part, on the successful candidate's qualifications for the role, including education and experience. This position will also be eligible for a company bonus(depending, in part, on company and individual performance). In addition, Loxo provides a comprehensive benefit program to eligible employees, including vacation, medical, dental and vision benefits; participation in a 401(k) plan; life and accidental death and disability coverage; parental leave benefits and employee discounts for certain items. The compensation described above is subject to change and could be higher or lower than the range described above. Further, Loxo reserves the right to amend, modify, or terminate its compensation and benefit programs in its sole discretion.
* This position can be located in South San Francisco OR New York City
Physical Demands/ Travel:
The physical demands of this job are consistent with light office duties and some laboratory work. Some light lifting, and maneuvering may be required.
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This position's work environment is in an office and laboratory environment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
* To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the role and responsibilities satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Loxo Oncology, Inc. is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
As a condition of employment with Eli Lilly and Company and its subsidiaries in the United States and Puerto Rico, you must be fully COVID-19 vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination satisfactory to the company (subject to applicable law).
Loxo Oncology, Inc. ("Loxo") is committed to help individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process for positions at Loxo, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance. Please note, this email address is intended for use to request an accommodation as a part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.