- Collaborate with Research and Development Teams, Production and Supply Teams to strategically shape a program that drives improvement in hybrid seed production
Work in partnership with quality team to optimize testing schemes for maximizing seed quality.
Team up with Marketing to identify and research seed treatments and seed enhancements for better crop protection and high yields
Contribute to the large-scale production testing program by designing experiments and performing statistical analysis for reliable conclusions.
Perform all activities in accordance with the RiceTec Health, Safety, and Environmental Policy
Work in a function and project matrix environment to plan, coordinate and execute biological research of Rice.
- Contribute expertise and knowledge relevant to plant biology such as crop physiology, pathology, entomology, bioassays, weed science, and so on.
Independently design and conduct experiments to develop effective and robust protocols, analyze potentially complex datasets to generate technical reports and scientifically sound interpretations and recommendations
Maintain accurate experimental records, according to company policies with outstanding attention to detail
Protect novel findings through submission of invention disclosure
Lead or participate on project teams and work streams in scientific research
Manage, supervise, and mentor other employees within the functional group
Other duties as assigned
On-site work requiredCritical success factors & key challenges
- Strong initiative and results orientation
Excellent analytical, interpersonal and communication skills
Understand SMART goals, project milestones, and deliverables
Become an integrated member of a multi-functional team
Embrace RiceTec quality management and stewardship practicesCritical knowledge and experience
- Ph.D. with a minimum of 2 years relevant experience in plant biology such as plant pathology, entomology, weed science, physiology and agronomy, or related field; OR a M.S. with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience in plant biology such as crop pathology, entomology, weed science, physiology and agronomy, or related field
Excellent knowledge of statistics, experiment design and data analytics
Experience in automated phenotyping and working knowledge of imaging, sensors, or relevant technologies, is a plus but not requiredCritical professional and personal capabilities
- Demonstrated creativity and assertiveness in problem solving and ability to lead change
Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a wide range of colleagues within and outside the immediate function
Demonstrated ability and motivation to work independently and supervise junior team members
Outstanding analytical, verbal, and written communication skills
Excellent record keeping skills and demonstrated attention to detail
Commitment and adherence to specific stewardship and quality management practices is essentialPhysical Requirements
- Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed.
May require walking level and unleveled surfaces for periodic periods throughout the day including flooded rice fields.
Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required throughout the workday.
Proper lifting techniques required.
Must be able to lift 50-pound bag of seed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.