Silver Bell MineCurrent # Open:
Salary SILVER BELL MINING MISSION STATEMENT
Silver Bell Mining, L.L.C. is committed to environmentally sound work practices while maximizing the production of high-quality products at the lowest cost. We will maintain the health and safety of our employees, promote good employee relations, and provide for employee development. We are committed to the satisfaction of our external customers, suppliers, regulators, and the community.POSITION OVERVIEW
The Environmental Engineer is responsible for assisting the Environmental Manager to ensure the facility continues to operate in a safe, environmentally friendly, and sustainable fashion through compliance with federal, state, and local environmental laws, administrative regulations, codes, permits, policies, and procedures. The Environmental Engineer will assist with the monitoring of performance measures in support of the facility's mission.
Under limited oversight from the Environmental Manager:
- Perform assigned duties in a safe and responsible manner adhering to all facility policies and procedures.
- Support and advance Silver Bell Mining's commitment to be a sustainable mining operation by developing, implementing, and monitoring strategies ensuring that environmental goals are met by sustaining water resource management and supporting pollution prevention, remediation, and reclamation activities.
- Perform inspections of ponds, liners, pipelines, conveyances, dams, dumps, landfills, air emissions, pollution control devices, and waste management areas.
- Collect samples of ground water, surface water, storm water, drinking water, soil, waste, air, process solutions, and other media.
- Assist in performing the department's routine daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly activities.
- Prepare compliance reports and records for submission to regulatory agencies.
- Manage minor environmental construction projects including installation of wells, sampling devices, secondary containment facilities, emission control devices, structural demolition, or renovation.
- Ensure the facility remains in compliance with the following regulations:
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA)
- Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA)
- Clean Air Act (CAA)
- Clean Water Act (CWA)
- Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA)
- Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-know Act (EPCRA)
- Endangered Species Act (ESA)
- Pollution Prevention Act (PPA)
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
- Mine Safety and Health Act
- Transportation of Hazardous Materials Regulations
- As well as Arizona and Pima County equivalencies
- International Standards Organization 14001 and 45001
Aquifer Protection Permit Class II Air Quality Permit Public Water System Permit Hazardous Waste Management Permit Hazardous Materials Transportation Permit
- Ensure the facility remains in compliance with the following permits:
Contingency/Emergency Response Plan Waste Minimization Plan Spill Prevention and Countermeasures Plan Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan Drinking Water System Emergency Operations Plan Drinking Water Manual
- Assist in the development and management of the following plans:
Toxics Release Inventory Emissions Inventory Chemical Data Report Hazardous Waste Generation reporting Groundwater Withdrawal Report
- Assist in preparing major environmental reports such as:
- Participate in Community Involvement and Outreach programs and events.
- Train and educate the facility workers on environmental regulations, permits, programs and sustainable practices
- Respond to environmental emergencies during regular working hours as well as at night and over weekends.
- Work with and develop relationships with the workers based on trust, respect, honesty and integrity.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of environmental regulations.
- Ability to analyze data and make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to read and understand codes, regulations, laws, technical papers, permits, specifications, and construction drawings
- Proficiently in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Familiarity with soil and water sampling and monitoring techniques.
- Familiarity of air emission monitoring techniques.
- Familiarity with the Environmental Protection (EPA) Agency, Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ), and Pima County Department of Environmental Quality (PDEQ).
- Project management skill.
- Must be physically fit enough to:
- Lift up to 40 lbs.
- Withstand high ambient temperatures (+110°F) for extended periods of time.
- Safely walk over very rocky terrains, up and down steep slopes, and through the harsh natural environment of the Sonoran Desert.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering (environmental, civil, chemical, or mining), environmental science, chemistry, geology, hydrology/hydrogeology, geography, land management, or related field.
- 3-4 years of experience in an environmental related field.
- Previous work experience in an environmental field and/or open-pit mining operation.
- Familiar with AutoCAD, Leap Frog, AQTESOLV, or Surfer16.
- Previously certified, licensed, or trained in:
- DOT Hazardous Materials
- EPA Method 9
- Operator of a Public Water System
- AHERA Asbestos Building Inspector
- MSHA 5000-23
A core value of ASARCO LLC is "Safety First." The Company is committed to help employees continuously improve their efforts to work in the most safe, inclusive, socially and environmentally responsible manner practicable. Employee safety and health, both on and off the job, are critically important to the Company. Therefore, ASARCO LLC requires employees to have and effectively demonstrate good working knowledge of modern safety systems. Each employee will take prime responsibility for ensuring that s/he works within all required safety procedures and processes.
ASARCO LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates must possess a current and valid driver's license. Offers of employment are contingent upon a successful criminal background check and pre-employment physical including a drug screen.ASARCO LLC offers an excellent low cost benefits package for medical/prescription/ dental/vision, disability coverage, life insurance and other optional coverage and 401(k) plan with company match.