To provide students with educational, emotional and social stability through a comprehensive school counseling program. Works with assisting students to achieve their highest potential in a safe learning environment.
Master's degree in Guidance and Counseling from an accredited college or university. Certification or eligible for certification by the Florida State Department of Education to teach in the State of Florida. Valid Florida driver's License.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must have knowledge of various counseling techniques; ability to communicate orally and in written form; ability to analyze educational data, testing instruments and measurement practices; knowledge of crisis prevention and arbitration techniques; knowledge of career counseling resources; knowledge of district policies and state and national legislation as related to Guidance/Counseling functions; ability to operate various software applications, perform routine typing and basic computer operations; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with parents, instructors, students and the public.
REPORTS TO: School Principal
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Provides personal and social growth counseling which includes individual and group counseling relating to academic success, understanding of self and others, communication skills, decision making, relationship skills, conflict resolution and goal setting.
*Provides crisis intervention services, e.g. suicide prevention, child abuse, health concerns, substance abuse and follow-up services as appropriate.
* Conducts individual conferences and group meetings with parents to effectively communicate with and involve parents in improving student performance. This also includes the referral of students and parents to appropriate specialists in keeping with district guidelines.
* Maintains student guidance records and confidntiality.
* Provides career counseling to students as assigned.
* Makes recommendations to students for higher education and colleges for admission and scholarships.
* Makes arrangements for alternative educational processes as needed.
* Confers with teachers to provide possible interventions for classroom academic or behavior modifications.
* Identifies and evaluates critical data such as grades, test scores, attendance, promotion rates, graduation and postsecondary enrollment rate.
* Uses data to develop strategies to positively impact students.
* Guides individuals and groups of students through the development of educational plans, career awareness and personal and social growth issues.
* Assists the principal and staff in the evaluation of the guidance services being rendered and provides data which serves as the basis for recommending changes within the school program.
* Identifies students that are at risk of leaving school and begins a program to improve their educational skills and increase their interest in school.
* Develops and provides a variety of materials on education, career awareness and personal and social development for students, teachers and parents.
* Participates in a multi-disciplinary team staffing for students being considered for exceptional student education programs or for 504 accommodations.
* Responsible for keeping up to date on current technology, as job appropriate, being used by OCPS. With the support of the district, attends training to ensure skill level in various technologies is at the level required to perform in current position.
* Responsible for timely and accurate information they maintain as part of their job responsibilities.
Performs other duties as assigned by the principal.
Physical Ability: Tasks involve the ability to exert very moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (l2-20 pounds).
Sensory Requirements: Most tasks require visual perception and discrimination. Some tasks require oral communications ability. Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate sounds.
Environmental Factors: Tasks are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, animals/wildlife, toxic/poisonous agents, violence, disease or pathogenic substances.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions as set forth in the OCPS Instructional Personnel Evaluation System procedures manual.
Posting Title: GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
Requisition ID: 2022-98341
Name: SUNSET PARK ELEMENTARY
Street: 12050 OVERSTREET RD
Post End Date: 6/18/2022 11:59 PM
Work Hours and Days: 197 days, 7.5 hours per day
External Company Name: Orange County Public Schools
External Company URL: www.ocps.k12.fl.us