HELIX Environmental Planning, Inc
Description: HELIX Environmental Planning, Inc.
(HELIX), a growing, employee-owned California-based environmental consulting and planning firm, is seeking a motivated mid to senior-level Biologist
possessing critical thinking skills and a strong work ethic to join one of our northern California office locations (Folsom or Roseville). HELIX provides CEQA/NEPA, biological, cultural resource management, habitat restoration, regulatory permitting, environmental compliance monitoring, landscape architecture, acoustics and noise control, air quality and greenhouse gas, and GIS services to both the public and private sector. Why work for HELIX?
We prioritize our employees. We have been an employee-owned firm since 2004, providing employees a vested interest in the firm's success through our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). HELIX placed in the top three for environmental consulting firms and in the top ten for firms in our size range (100 to 199 employees) nationwide in the ZweigWhite Best Firms to Work For 2021 survey. Our employees describe us as team-oriented, caring, flexible, and driven by our standards of integrity. In addition to our competitive benefit package, we also have robust, award-winning wellness, professional growth, employee development training and community volunteer programs, and we support a hybrid work environment that balances the ability to work in the office and from home, when needed.
HELIX offers a competitive benefits package, that includes:
Biologist Job Description:
- Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Coverage
- Life Insurance
- Personal Time Off
- Bonus Program
- ESOP participation
- 401K participation
- Conducting or leading biology surveys, including biological reconnaissance and due diligence surveys, vegetation community mapping, special-status plant surveys, jurisdictional delineations, focused species surveys and/or pre-construction clearance surveys.
- Conducting or leading biological monitoring for construction/restoration projects.
- Drafting or leading preparation of due diligence reports, focused wildlife and/or plant survey reports, habitat assessments, biological technical reports, biological sections of NEPA/CEQA documents, annual monitoring reports, restoration plans and jurisdictional delineation reports, including analyzing impacts and identifying mitigation measures.
- Assisting project managers with preparation and processing of wetland permit applications and supporting materials.
- Maintaining accurate field notes and maps, project files, work logs, etc.
- Providing high-quality work products on schedule and within budget.
- Participating in business development by keeping resume current, doing a great job on projects, and looking for possible leads for new work.
- Preparing or assisting project managers with proposals and augments for private and public projects.
- Assisting project managers with preparation for (or attendance at) project interviews.
- Includes occasional overnight travel.
The ideal candidate must possess strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills because critical aspects of this position include developing solutions for project challenges, as well as forging strong, collaborative relationships and building consensus among team members, staff, clients, and agencies. A positive attitude, flexible mindset and adaptability to changing circumstances is imperative.
If interested, please complete HELIX's application, and provide a current resume and cover letter.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and an inclusive work environment. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, disability, age, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service or veteran status. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring, appraisal systems, promotions, training, and career development programs.
#Biologist #Biology #terrestrialbiologist #terrestrial #environmentalscience
Requirements: Minimum Requirements for the Position:
Additional Skills Considered a Plus for the Position
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in an environmental science, including botany, biology or other related field (degree in biochemistry or microbiology not acceptable)
- Five years of experience as a professional biologist conducting duties related to the job requirements, including at least 2 years of work experience in northern California
- Experience working for an environmental consulting firm
- Experience leading field survey and monitoring efforts
- Demonstrated experience independently conducting biological resource assessments/evaluations
- Demonstrated experience independently conducting aquatic resource delineations
- Experience with field data collection methods and equipment
- Demonstrated experience preparing biological technical reports
- Possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to hike long distances over varying terrain under varying weather conditions
- Valid California Driver's License with a clean driving record over the last 3 years
- Ability for occasional overnight travel
- Experience with environmental compliance monitoring during construction
- Permits (USFWS/CDFW) to conduct focused surveys for northern California special-status flora and fauna
- Arborist Certification from the International Society of Arboriculture
- Basic Wetland Delineation Certificate or Society of Wetland Scientists Wetland Certification
- Experience facilitating coordination and/or acting as liaison with U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Regional Water Quality Control Board, and/or California Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Experience with native habitat restoration planning and implementation
- Experience with mentoring/leading less experienced biologists in the field and with report writing
- Project management experience including client coordination, scope and budget preparation for biological work, and staff scheduling and management