The "Research Biologist, Clinical" executes and controls technical functions required in Clinical Research and Development studies. These are mainly technical laboratory and animal work (e. g., parasite isolation and propagation; support to animal model development; inoculation of animals; injections, blood sampling, necropsy, parasite counts, observations, etc.). The incumbent is part of the Scientific staff and supports the Clinical Scientists not only with collection of data, but also with review of documents, distribution of approval documents to staff, monitoring the status of studies, responding to study reports, data entry, data collation and preparation of study notebooks as necessary. As needed, the Research Biologist can participate in other administrative tasks related to study programs.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim's high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- With guidance, performs study procedures as assigned, involving inoculation of trial animals with organisms (parasites, bacterial inoculum, etc.), administration of experimental material, blood sampling, necropsy, health observations, etc. The incumbent also contributes to the implementation of animal models in either the target or surrogate animal species and to general in vitro and/or ex vivo study procedures as required.
- Responsible for the development of laboratory techniques, ensuring accurate and timely laboratory service in support to the conduct of clinical studies.
- With guidance, contributes to analytical, parasitological, microbiological, or cell culture processes based on analysis of data gathered during studies or process/method/animal model development.
- Participates as a member of the Clinical R&D team by assisting in the origination of the study protocol, conducting pre-study and ongoing study functions including, but not limited to, designing of study report forms, notebook preparation, data collection, initiating calendar of events and other technical/administrative study-related functions as needed.
- Assists with Investigator training, test substance preparation, randomization and logistics, collection and capture of study data, reporting remarkable events, and drafting of study reports.
- Assists with the creation of site-specific technical SOPs ensuring adherence to legal and corporate biosafety/biosecurity and animals welfare regulations.
- Also assumes role of the Clinical Operations (i.e. Monitoring, Study Coordinator, Data QC) as required; conducting review of portions of data, data entry, and helping with the preparation and collation of trial reports in compliance with GCP/GLP/BIAH procedures.
- Complies with all applicable regulations governing the Animal Health Industry (GCP, GLP, Animal Welfare, Regulatory requirements, etc.). Ensures that work performed in area of responsibility is conducted in a safe and compliant manner. Maintains proper records in accordance with SOPs and policies.
- B.S. degree (preferred), or Associates degree, or equivalent from an accredited institution in an area related to biology; or three (3) years of experience related to animal research.
- Laboratory experience is a plus.
- A basic level of animal handling experience is required.
- Good verbal and written communication skills (correspondence, protocols, reports, etc.).
- Must rapidly assimilate knowledge of GCP/GLP regulations and BIAH procedures as necessary.
- Knowledge and skills with Microsoft Office (Microsoft Word and Excel) and ability to learn Clinical and Laboratory Data Management System software.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail are essential.
- Must be able to collect and handle data to meet GxP, GCP, and GLP requirements.
- Must be able to work directly with both target animals and pathogens.
- Must be familiar with and ensure for compliance with legal and corporate biosafety/biosecurity procedures.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- A collaborative team player.
- Possesses a customer service orientation, delivering results and executing in a fast and focused manner.
- Good organizational skills with quality orientation.
- Effective time management.
- Ability to work with some level of independence.
- High degree of attention to detail. Ability to find errors or inconsistencies others may miss.
- Exhibits integrity and trust.
- English: Fluent (read, write and speak).
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required).
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- This position will require individuals to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious accommodation. Click here for more information on the vaccine mandate and COVID-19.
Who We Are:
At Boehringer Ingelheim we create value through innovation with one clear goal: to improve the lives of patients. We develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areas of unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company we focus on long term performance. We are powered by 50.000 employees globally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusive culture. Learning and development for all employees is key because your growth is our growth.
Want to learn more? Visit boehringer-ingelheim.com and join us in our effort to make more health.
Boehringer Ingelheim is an equal opportunity global employer who takes pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive culture. We embrace diversity of perspectives and strive for an inclusive environment, which benefits our employees, patients and communities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to a person's actual or perceived race, including natural hairstyles, hair texture and protective hairstyles; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; citizenship status, marital status; gender, gender identity or expression; sexual orientation, mental, physical or intellectual disability, veteran status; pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law.