Under general supervision, provide a variety of public services to preserve, protect and enhance the natural, historical and recreational resources of the County; assist the public to ensure they can take full advantage of the facilities and grounds.
Park Aide is distinguished from the Park Ranger Series and Natural Resources Specialist Series in that the Park Aide is of a limited scope in both function and duration. Park Aides are short term and seasonal and perform work under the direction of permanent staff.
Natural Resources Support - Incumbents are assigned to work related to natural resource programs such as habitat restoration, wildlife and vegetation monitoring, etc. The Park Aide will be expected to work independently on various assignments on a regular basis. The Park Aide's primary duties will be in monitoring, data collection and reporting for various park initiatives, collecting GIS data in the field, assisting with wildlife monitoring and vegetation management projects, providing assistance to our volunteer stewardship program, and other natural resource management projects as assigned.
NOTE: This is a part-time, 20 hours/week over 12 months, extra-help, at-will assignment, paid on an hourly basis. Extra help employees are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the assignment.
Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Natural Resource Support
* Conducting field surveys and monitoring for the off-leash dog recreation pilot program for County Parks, to observe and monitor for potential impacts on natural resources from this recreational activity.
* Conducting mapping and condition assessments for various parks facilities and infrastructure
* Conducting nesting bird surveys and flagging sensitive resources for avoidance and protection during parks projects, including fuel reduction projects.
* Conducting vegetation management including landscape reconnaissance, native plant and weed mapping, and weed management.
* Assisting in organizing and leading volunteer stewardship events, including volunteer habitat restoration, planting, and weeding events.
* Managing and organizing data, including conducting quality assessment and quality control of data, electronically sorting and filing landscape, vegetation, and wildlife photos, and recording occurrences of natural resource management tasks in an electronic archive.
* Coordination with other Natural Resource Management, Volunteer Coordinator, Interpretive and Ranger staff.
* Driving and operating automobiles, light trucks, safety equipment and other motorized equipment safely.
* Communicating effectively orally and in writing.
* Natural resources, native and invasive vegetation and local wildlife species.
* Learn and apply policies, procedures, and safety regulations related to park operations to which assigned.
* Learn to operate equipment and avoid safety hazards related to park and marina environments.
* Follow oral and written instructions including safety rules, procedures and practices.
* Work courteously and effectively with the public and with co-workers.
* Operate motor vehicles and other equipment.
* Stand, walk, and bend for extended periods of time.
* Lift items weighing up to 60 pounds.
* Work outdoors regardless of weather conditions.
* Use hand, electric and pneumatic power tools.
* Perform clerical tasks including keeping accurate records, making simple arithmetic calculations, handling cash, and filing.
Natural Resources Support
* Hike in various terrain with packs and tools.
* Learn and apply vegetation management and integrated pest management practices.
* Remove invasive plants using hand or mechanical tools.
* Apply herbicide from backpack sprayers and hand applicators.
* Operate weed whackers, brush cutters, and mowing equipment.
* Operate chainsaws when applying herbicide to a stump.
* Maintain hand tools, including tool re-handling and sharpening.
* Maintain other tools and equipment.
* Maintain work log.
* Use handheld GPS or similar to record information in the field.
* Record work performed data and summary entries.
* Compile and organize photo monitoring data.
* Perform quality control and quality assurance
Anyone may apply.A supplemental application form must be submitted in addition to the standard County employment application form. Your responses to the supplemental questions will provide additional information about your qualifications for this position, and will be used by the department in the evaluation process. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for your responses. Neatness, clarity of expression, and the ability to follow instructions will be considered in the evaluation process.
Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the 'Apply Online' button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.orgto apply. If you have any questions, contact the Parks Department Payroll and Personnel at (650) 363-4020.
NOTE: Due to the volume of applications for these positions, qualified candidates are encouraged to apply immediately as these positions may be filled anytime within the process. The Parks Department will screen materials as they are received and will directlycontact qualified applicants for further consideration.
~ TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE ~
Final Filing Date: July 5, 2022
Departmental Interview: Week of July 18, 2022
The County of San Mateo may require that all employees provide proof of COVID-19 vaccine or comply with weekly COVID-19 testing. Employees hired into specified health care facilities and other high-risk settings where there is potential for frequent COVID-19 exposure to staff and highly vulnerable patients are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. For more specific information, please refer to the County'sCOVID-19 Vaccine and Testing Policy.
At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Arlene Cahill (L046)