About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is looking for a Natural Resources Team Lead. The selected individual will lead and grow a developing team and support various projects in North and South Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, and surrounding states. Our Raleigh-Durham, NC office offers a unique work environment and specializes in ecological restoration and renewable energy permitting. The successful applicant will serve as a subject matter expert in wetlands and Waters of the U.S. and ensure technical rigor in Clean Water Act (CWA) Section 404 permitting and compliance.
This is a regular, full time, salaried position that is eligible for a hybrid work schedule. This position will be instrumental in leading and growing a robust natural resources program that includes supporting existing clients and projects, capturing new work and clients, mentoring junior staff, encouraging teamwork and cooperation, working with other offices, and driving overall scientific and business excellence.
What you will accomplish
Serve as a subject matter expert in wetlands, Waters of the U.S., and Section 404 permitting, managing large and/or complex natural resources projects, providing senior oversight and quality control for project deliverables.
Manage project requirements related to CWA, National Environmental Policy Act, Endangered Species Act, other resource planning/permitting regulations, and/or natural resource disciplines relevant in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee.
Think beyond the standard permit-based consulting to develop new project niches and extend project life cycle, including for mitigation, engineering design, restoration, monitoring, and new regulatory permitting drivers specific to our clients' changing needs.
Function as a member of the Raleigh-Durham office leadership team.
Serve as client technical manager for key clients, taking a lead and collaborative role in pursuing project opportunities across the region.
Network within agencies and industry organizations to establish and expand our state and regional client base and revenue in the areas of environmental planning, permitting, and broad-based natural resources services.
Supervise, instruct, mentor, and facilitate professional growth and development of natural resources personnel.
Experience and qualifications for success
* Bachelor's degree in Wetland Science, Soils Science, Biology, Fish and Wildlife Science, Natural Resource Management, Ecology, Environmental Science, or related field.
* Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience in natural resource project execution, project management, stellar client care, and supervising or mentoring others.
* Previous experience with environmental surveys, permitting, and field implementation on a variety of projects.
* Demonstrated experience leading wetland delineations and complex CWA Section 404 permitting processes.
* Experience with federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
* Strong business development skills as a "seller/doer" to develop productive business relationships with agency, client, and industry contacts.
* Graduate degree in Wetland Science, Soils Science, Biology, Fish and Wildlife Science, Natural Resource Management, Ecology, Environmental Science, or related field.
* Certification as a Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS) by the Society of Wetland Scientists.
* Completion of NCWAM and/or NCSAM certifications.
* Demonstrated experience in supervising, mentoring, and providing leadership for other natural resources professionals.
* Existing client base of established clients.
* Prior related work experience in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and eastern Tennessee.
* Experience with wetland creation, obtaining wetland credits, and wetland mitigation banking.
* Ability to travel on average 25% of the time, including overnight stays.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.