Ecotone, LLC. is an innovative and growing design/build ecological restoration company. We are looking for a positive, self-starting, Senior Ecologist
to join our team. Under guidance from the Director of Design, the Ecologist will cooperate with other scientists, designers, and engineers to complete permitting for ecological restoration projects; independently conduct natural resource delineations, and perform site assessments and monitoring at project sites.
Candidates who make a good first impression find ways to communicate how their goals, interests, and approach match Ecotone's core values. The teammates who enjoy the most success at Ecotone have intellectual curiosity and a passion for learning; they are not afraid to ask questions or be part of creating solutions; and they thrive in collaborative efforts. The environmental ethic that bonds our team together is appreciation for the interconnection of flora, fauna, and human life in the natural world as well as a commitment to create balance and function in ecological communities.Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform field and office studies associated with stream, wetland, and forest restoration projects
- Lead environmental consulting efforts, including completing natural resource investigations and vegetation surveys; preparing wetland and forest stand delineations; developing forest conservation plans; and drafting wetland and waterway construction permit applications
- Conduct field monitoring for permitted sites and complete As-built surveys
- Draft reports and plans, as appropriate, for assessments, investigations, and delineations that document methods and analysis
- Maintain schedules and checklists that identify work-in-progress, particularly tasks completed and tasks remaining
- Lead and oversee stream/wetland restoration, federal/state permit submittals, and requests with various agencies
- Lead efforts to complete proposals, cost estimates, and invoices.
- Interact with project managers, design colleagues, foreman, and construction personnel before, during, and after project implementation.
- Mentor junior level staff regarding technical skills and project implementation
- Contribute on multiple projects concurrently.
- Represent company at conferences and professional association functions.
- Consider/pursue opportunities that support the company's social impact objectives
- Identify areas for improvement
- Graduate Degree preferred
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental Science, Natural Resources, Ecology, or related field; relevant work experience may be substituted for a degree
- Five-ten years of direct experience in watershed assessment, stream assessment, or forestry
- Substantial understanding of Maryland's environmental permitting process is required. Experience with permitting in other states a plus
- Understanding of mitigation banking instruments and ability to draft prospectus a plus
- Certification as Forest Conservation Qualified Professional or Professional Wetlands Scientist (or equivalent) is preferred
- Proficiency with GPS mobile units, AutoCAD, and ArcGIS preferred
- Ability to work successfully independently and with a team
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) and demonstrated initiative
- Positive attitude
- Familiarity with basic engineering concepts; ability to translate drawings with guidance
Job Type: Full-time