Senior Research Associate / Scientist, Microbiology
Actym Therapeutics, Inc. is a Berkeley, CA based venture-backed biotechnology company focused on developing novel immunotherapies intended to transform the treatment of cancer. Patients burdened with metastatic disease desperately need new and effective treatment options. Actym's revolutionary microbial-based technology platform is designed to overcome the hostile tumor microenvironment and promote durable anti-tumor immunity. This technology allows for the safe, programmed delivery of multiplexed immunological payloads to tumor-resident immune cells after IV dosing, in a single therapeutic composition. This paves the way for safely targeting immunological pathways that are intractable using conventional small molecule or antibody-based therapeutics due to systemic toxicities, which are of significant interest to the biopharma community. Actym recently completed a significant venture financing backed by top tier investors and has announced a lead therapeutic candidate for clinical development.
Our people are our greatest asset. They bring scientific talents in immunology, microbiology, molecular biology, protein engineering, cancer biology, gene editing, process development, pharmacology, and clinical development to make the future happen now.Position Summary
Actym Therapeutics is a rapidly growing company seeking a highly motivated and creative Senior Research Associate or Scientist to join our R&D Team. We are seeking an experienced microbiologist with additional expertise in microbial pathogenesis, immunology, oncology or related fields to join the R&D team's efforts to identify and develop novel immune-based therapies for the treatment of cancer and infectious disease. We are a small team, looking to make a huge impact in the immunotherapy field. The ideal candidate will have multiple responsibilities, including microbial therapy production and characterization, as well as analytical testing to support preclinical drug development efforts at Actym. The candidate must have functional knowledge of microbial pathogenesis and immunology, and enjoy working in a fast-paced, team environment.Required:
Experience with the following is a plus:
- Ph.D. and 0-3 years of industry experience, master's degree, and 3+ years of industry experience, or bachelor's degree and 3+ years of industry experience
- Extensive hands-on laboratory experience in the fields of Microbial Pathogenesis, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Immunology, Oncology, or related field
- Expertise in routine microbial culture and characterization: CFU determination, growth curve generation, and antibiotic sensitivity testing
- Prior experience quantifying gene expression via RT-qPCR, western blot, and/or ELISA
- Cell biology prior experience: handling mammalian cells, including primary immune cells, such as macrophages; cell-based reporter assays, flow cytometry
- Molecular biology prior experience: electroporation, plasmid purification, PCR, and cloning
The successful candidate will also be:
- Experience with or knowledge of bacterial fermentation
- Gibson assembly, In-Fusion, Gateway cloning, etc.
- NGS workflows, sample preparation, and data analysis
- Analytical development
The Ideal Candidate Shares Actym's Core Values:
- Able to efficiently multi-task and contribute to multiple projects
- Willing to participate in multidisciplinary team efforts to make decisions on targets, drug candidates, and program progression
- Highly organized, display a high level of attention to detail, and able to efficiently communicate in oral and written form
- Responsible for the integrity and quality of all data analyses, interpretation, and reporting of data to support pre/non-clinical sections of regulatory filings
- Open, transparent, and collaborative
- Effectively represent the company in external interactions at scientific conferences and to key opinion leaders including academic collaborators, strategic partners, and consultants
- Commitment: We are committed to bringing life-saving drugs to patients with cancer.
- Accountability: We are accountable to each other and accept responsibility for our actions.
- Quality: We are committed to the highest level of quality in our experiments, analyses, and communications with each other.
- Respectfulness. We are respectful of each other and the diverse backgrounds that we bring to the team.
- Decision making. Attuned to opportunity, we make intelligent decisions, adapting to create the best outcomes. We are decisive and undaunted by failure. We accept what doesn't work, learn from it, and get on to what does.
- Collaboration. We achieve our goals together, inspiring, sharing, and creating as a team.
- We do the right thing.
Work is performed in an office and laboratory environment. May be exposed to biological and chemical hazards. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. Light to moderate lifting and carrying objects with a maximum lift of 30lbs. Must be able to work while wearing personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, gloves, and lab coats deemed necessary to protect testing and to protect employees. Work is to be performed on site. About Actym
Actym offers comprehensive benefits including 401K, and generous health care coverage with Medical, Dental, Vision plans.
Disclaimer. This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities. The employer reserves the right to revise key functions of this position at any time. Actym is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. www.actymthera.com