Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, our commitment to developing life-saving medicines that can potentially cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
At AskBio, we've built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Our therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson's disease, and congestive heart failure. Our gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
We became a wholly owned, independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy Platform. Our global headquarters are in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub. Additionally, we have significant operations in Philadelphia, PA, Columbus, OH, Scotland, France, and Spain.Our vision
: Pioneering science to create transformative molecular medicines. Our mission
: Lead innovative science and drive clinical outcomes to transform people's lives. Our principles
- Advance innovative science by pushing boundaries.
- Bring transformative therapeutics to patients in need.
- Provide an environment for employees to reach their fullest potential.
About the role
- Be a Pioneer. We are not afraid of the impossible and to innovate to make gene therapies accessible to those in need.
- Cultivate Collaboration. Strive to be the best teammate, actively listen, openly communicate, and embrace diverse points of view.
- Embrace Responsibility. We are humbled by the enormity of our mission. We hold a relentless commitment to advance science and clinical outcomes for our patients, families, and caregivers.
- Raise the Bar. Continuously drive improvements and efficiencies. Seek and provide constructive feedback. Have a bias for learning and action.
- Act with Uncompromising Integrity. Be honest, transparent, and committed to doing what's right in every situation. Make clear commitments and follow through.
The Research Associate II, AAV Biology (Product Development)
, reports to the Senior Scientist, Product Development and will conduct experimental bench work in support of development of rAAV Gene Therapy clinical candidate vectors as part of the Product Development team. The ideal candidate will have direct experience with quantitative molecular biology techniques, including isolation of DNA, RNA, and protein from cells and tissues, quantitative PCR, RT PCR, ddPCR, ELISA, SDS_PAGE, and Western Blot.This is an onsite role which can be based from our Durham, NC headquarters OR Philadelphia, PA facility.Responsibilities
The Product Development team at AskBio has responsibility for analysis of DNA, RNA, and protein expression from tissues and cell lines, and analysis of samples across many disease indications, including CNS, neuromuscular, liver systemic and liver metabolic rare diseases. The therapeutic strategies may include gene replacement, gene knock down, gene modulation, and combinations of those approaches.
Required Education and Experience
- Design, plan and conduct experiments to analyze protein, RNA, and DNA from cell culture and tissues to generate high quality reproducible data.
- Perform in vitro assays and maintain cell lines.
- Design and conduct cloning to generate novel plasmids.
- Conduct DNA/ RNA library prep for high-throughput sequencing studies.
- Ensure lab areas are clean, well organized and equipment, supplies and raw materials are available and safety protocols are followed.
- Contribute to/author study reports, study protocols, SOPs, and regulatory filings, and technical discussions and investigations within project teams.
Preferred Experience and Skills
- BS degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or other relevant degree with 2-5 years research experience, or MS with 1-2 years' experience.
- Experience in molecular biology techniques such as: western blot, DNA/RNA isolation, ddPCR and plasmid cloning.
- Prior experience in cell line maintenance.
- Experience in NGS library production and sequencing.
- Ability to multitask among multiple projects and teams and work independently in a fast-paced, highly interactive environment.
- Self-motivated, organized, capable of working independently and in a collaborative environment with cross-disciplinary teams.
- Good judgment and innovation to achieve a solution within standard procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with global teams.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel).
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status prohibited under Federal, State or local laws. All employment decisions are based on valid job-related requirements. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation to express interest in a specific opening by calling us at (919) 561-6210 or emailing us at email@example.com.