We are seeking an enthusiastic and motived individual to build machine-learning sequence-function models to guide protein engineering. Reporting to a protein engineering lead, this position will play a crucial role in expediting evolution and expanding optimizable properties of proteins. You will have the opportunity to make a lasting impact as you partner with Discovery and Genome Editing to engineer novel gene editing systems and enable therapeutic development. This role will be based in Emeryville, CA.
The exact level of this position will be based on experience and qualifications, and as such, we encourage all interested candidates to apply. If you have relevant experience or knowledge that is not reflected on your resume, we welcome you to include a comment explaining any additional details you would like us to consider when reviewing your application.About the Role
- Establish machine learning pipeline to understand and engineer novel gene editing systems
- Develop algorithms to better analyze the results of protein engineering
- Collaborate closely with protein engineers, biochemists, data scientists, and automation engineers to develop integrated automation platforms
- Present results, update research progress, and communicate data-driven approach of protein engineering in internal meetings
- Assist wet lab experiments
- Author publications and patents
What will enable you to thrive as our new Machine Learning Scientist will be:
Preferred additional qualifications
- PhD degree in Bioengineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Chemical Engineering or a related discipline required
- Minimum 0-2 years of industry or academic experience in Machine Learning specialized in Protein Engineering is required
- Track record of applying machine learning to guide a successful protein engineering campaign
- Experience with data processing and machine learning from deep mutational scanning, protein recombination, and saturation mutagenesis
- Proficiency in python and machine learning packages including Pytorch, TensorFlow, Keras, Scikit-learn, etc.
- Examples of other requirements below
- Effective oral and written communication skills, particularly when collaborating with other teams with limited knowledge of your area of expertise
- Extremely organized and able to efficiently manage your time and workflow, including skillfully prioritizing both long-term projects and day-to-day responsibilities
- Able to quickly learn and adapt to new software tools (ex: Google Suite, Slack, etc.)
- Highly collaborative, team-oriented, and considerate of the needs of others
- Thrives in a fast-moving, results-oriented startup environment with urgent deadlines
- Independent and self-sufficient, but knows when to ask questions or seek support
- Self-motivated, passionate about your work, and eager to continuously learn more
- Hands-on experience of molecular cloning and directed evolution
- Experience with high throughput screening and automation
- Experience engineering CRISPR gene editing systems
At Metagenomi, we are accelerating innovation in cell and gene therapy with a wave of proprietary CRISPR-based systems to accurately edit DNA where current technologies cannot. Our metagenomics-powered discovery platform and analytical expertise reveal novel cellular machinery sourced from otherwise unknown organisms. We adapt and forge these naturally evolved systems into powerful therapeutic tools that can be leveraged by partners and fuel our own pipeline of potentially curative medicines. Our goal is to revolutionize gene editing and unlock its power for the benefit of patients around the world. What makes Metagenomi a unique place to work?
- We are passionate about developing technologies derived from microbial-rich ecosystems that have the power to enable therapeutic development and the potential to cure devastating disease.
- We have cultivated an amazing culture that values teamwork, curiosity, scientific rigor, and fun.
- We offer competitive compensation including a market-benchmarked salary, annual target bonus, equity in an early-stage startup, and a comprehensive benefits plan, including 401(k) matching, a retirement safe harbor plan, and other perks. As this role is open to candidates with a wide range of skills and experience, the salary range will be dependent on the exact level of the position. A more specific level-based range will be provided to you during the early stages of the interview process. We value transparency and will make every effort to provide you with a succinct explanation for how the range is determined.
At Metagenomi, we know that our people drive our success. Metagenomi provides an open, collegial, and friendly work environment where we empower people and provide them with opportunities to develop their long-term career. We are an equal opportunity employer and believe in and value diversity and inclusion. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be happy to help.