Think Different. Do Different. Be Different.
Alcami is a world-class contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO). We are a team of dynamic individuals committed to developing life-saving drugs around the world. A mindset of innovation, accountability and customer focus inspires us to be the most efficient, safe and reliable choice for our customers and the patients they serve. In return, we offer challenging careers, accelerated professional growth and the opportunity to be part of something different.Position Summary
The Associate Scientist, Microbiology is accountable for driving results in a fast-paced environment by accurately and efficiently performing sample analysis, monitoring microbial cultures and identifying microbiological contaminants and pathogens using a variety of identification methods . The position requires superior leadership behaviors of the Alcami core competencies and non-negotiables, as well as expertise in functional competencies included in this position profile.Essential Functions
Education And Experience
- Maintains working knowledge of instrumentation, equipment and scientific methodologies necessary to perform assigned task.
- Performs assigned tasks carefully and on schedule according to standard operating procedure and supervisors instructions.
- Isolates and makes cultures of bacteria or other microorganisms in prescribed media, controlling moisture, aeration, temperature and nutrition.
- Performs tests on water, test articles and the environment to detect harmful microorganisms and to obtain information on types and levels of microbial contamination.
- Examines physiological, morphological and cultural characteristics, using microscope and other relevant equipment, to identify and classify microorganisms in test articles.
- Studies impact of microorganisms on products and evaluate impact of microbial control strategies on microorganism survival.
- Keeps proper documentation of work performed.
- Maintains accurate records.
- Participates in company training and maintain current status of certifications as applicable.
- Maintains a safe, clean and organized work environment free from safety hazards.
- Ensures timely completion and compliance with cGMP and all other relevant company training requirements.
- Bachelor's degree Biology, Microbiology or related field with 3-5 years related working experience.
Alcami Core Leadership Competencies
- Consistently demonstrates honesty and integrity through personal example.
- Follows all safety policies and leads by example a safety first culture.
- Produces high quality work product with a focus on first time right.
- Complies with the company code of conduct and policies and regulatory standards.
- Thinks strategically. Quickly identifies and acts on opportunities. Considers the downstream impact. Seeks to understand the why. Focuses on work that matters.
- Develops organization and others. Takes ownership to develop self and others. Seeks out new opportunities and experiences for continuous learning.
- Acts decisively. Makes and acts on decisions quickly. Makes decisions with the customer and their patients in mind. Meets commitments with a sense of urgency. Seeks ways to be more efficient.
- Drives performance. Holds self and others accountable. Delivers results first time right. Never settles for status quo. Willing to have tough conversations. Asks for feedback and takes action to improve.
- Passion for customers. Listens to understand. Asks the right questions. Gets to the heart of the matter and uses that insight to provide value.
- Works collaboratively. Seeks out the experience of others with the aim for better results. Open minded regardless where ideas originate. Flexible and easy to work with.
Decision Making And Supervision Required
- Knowledge of Chemistry and Biology plus course work in Microbiology.
- Basic mathematical functions.
- Familiarity with major classes of microorganisms.
- Understanding of GMP regulations preferred.
- General computer program operations, including Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Basic theory of microbiology test procedures.
- ERP project status and time entry functions.
- Applicable lab standard operating procedures.
- Able to perform routine microbiological test procedures with supervision.
- Proper documentation practices.
- Use of basic lab equipment.
- Ability to execute procedures as written.
- Able to recognize deviations from procedures and the need for investigations.
- Understanding of aseptic technique.
- Applies job skills, company policies and SOPs to complete a variety of tasks.
- Receives general instructions on routine work, detailed instructions on new projects or assignments.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Up to 5% travel required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and smell. The employee is frequently required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock, burn hazards and microbial contamination. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee will be required to wear the appropriate personal protective equipment for specific job duties to be performed. Such personal protective equipment may include, but not limited to: safety eyewear, various types of respirators/breathing apparatus, lab coats, full protective body coverings, various types of gloves, etc.Other Duties
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. What We Offer You:
Diversity and Inclusion:
- Competitive salary with career advancement opportunities
- Bonus plan
- Medical, dental and vision coverage from day one
- 401(k) with company match
- Company paid vacation, holiday and sick-leave
- Voluntary benefits including short & long-term disability, life, accident, critical illness insurances
Alcami values diversity and we are c ommitted to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, past or present military service, marital status, gender identification or expression, medical condition (including genetic characteristics) or any other protected characteristic as established by law. As part of our effort to provide and maintain a safe and healthful workplace, Alcami Corporation requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Individuals are considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after their second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or 2 weeks after a single-dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Individuals seeking an exemption from this requirement for medical or religious reasons should contact HR to complete a request for accommodation form.