WHO WE ARE
Belharra Therapeutics is an early-stage small molecule discovery company founded by pioneers in the field of chemical biology. Through the application of our proprietary chemoproteomics platform merged with innovative biology and medicinal chemistry, we are modulating protein function in previously unidentified ways to push the limits of drug discovery. Our aim is to deliver transformative, first-in-class medicines for patients suffering from the most serious diseases.WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are seeking an enthusiastic, hard-working, and highly motivated translational biologist to join our multidisciplinary drug discovery team in developing novel therapeutics to treat unmet medical needs. The successful candidate will be an experienced biologist who can lead drug discovery projects with their chemistry counterpart including characterizing small molecules from hits to development candidate stages across multiple programs to build compelling data packages to advance molecules into preclinical development. This role will contribute to the growth of Belharra's research portfolio by also developing PK/PD/efficacy relationships and biomarker assay strategies to advance the discovery and development programs. The Scientist will also play a key role in the selection of the disease indications using genetics and various cutting-edge approaches.WHAT YOU'LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR
WHAT YOU'LL BRING TO THE TEAM
- Program leadership in collaboration with other functional areas to integrate in vitro, in vivo pharmacology, PK and general safety data to efficiently identify the best drug candidates
- Analyze data across cellular assays and in vivo PK/PD/efficacy models to validate disease indications
- Experience in immunology and/or oncology would be an asset
- Collaborate cross-functionally to develop translational path for target of interest including strategic input on clinical indications and selecting disease models
- Identify and validate biomarkers using a combination of techniques including FACS, ELISA, immunohistochemistry, and qPCR among others.
- Prepare human samples (biofluids, tissues) for analyses including proteomics, genomics, and metabolomics.
- Coordinate research activities and efficiently allocate resources between internal staff, external CROs and other external collaborators.
- Maintain a network of external scientific consultants to support preclinical programs.
- Communicate project progress to internal and external partners.
- Supervise and mentor scientists.
WHAT YOU'LL GET AS PART OF OUR TEAM
- People-first approach. You take pride in the way you collaborate and partner with people across the business.
- Passion for problem solving. You are excited by new challenges and know how to achieve maximum results and drive projects forward.
- Strategic mindset and ability to see the bigger picture in your approach to science and understanding data.
- Thirst for overachieving. You don't just meet goals, you set the standard.
- Ph.D in Molecular and Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology or related field with 5+ years of industry experience.
- Experience developing PK/PD/efficacy relationships for small molecules to demonstrate on target effects and validate disease indications
- Experience identifying and validating biomarkers across various stages of drug discovery and development
- Ability to mine data sources across literature, databases and other sources to select in vivo disease models
- Demonstrated experience in advancing small molecule discovery projects through lead identification and optimization as part of a multidisciplinary team, preferably with experience delivering a drug candidate.
- A collaborative and positive culture
- Limitless growth and learning opportunities
- A chance to make a lasting impact on drug discovery and human health
- Competitive compensation and company ownership
- Excellent Medical, Dental and Vision coverage from a broad choice of providers and plans
- 100% premium coverage for employees; 85% premium coverage for eligible dependents
- 401(k) program with a company sponsored contribution
- "Take what you need" vacation and sick leave policy
- 10 annual paid company holidays, plus the last week of December
- A new office and lab space in San Diego with flexibility and autonomy to do your work how and where you need
Belharra is committed to being an Equal Opportunity and our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, citizenship status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status and to affirmatively seek to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity.