NCASI is an organization serving the forest products industry as a center of excellence providing unbiased scientific research and technical information necessary to achieve the environmental and sustainability goals of the industry. NCASI has been supported broadly and continually by its members for more than 75 years.
We are seeking an Analytical Research Chemist familiar with EPA and other environmental methods to work with our analytical team at our Newberry Office and Laboratories. A successful candidate will possess a strong background in environmental chemistry including organic, inorganic, and analytical chemistry. The laboratory encompasses 3,600 square feet and contains state-of-the-art analytical instrumentation and equipment including two Seal AutoAnalyzer3s, one Agilent UV-VIS spectrometer, three Agilent GC/MSs, three Agilent GCs, one Agilent HPLC, one ThermoScientific LC/MS/MS, and two Dionex Ion Chromatographs.
Essential Job Functions
The primary role of this position is to conduct environmental analytical testing using organic and inorganic analytical methods as well as to participate in the development of new methods when necessary. The activities described herein are representative of those required to be successful in this role.
· Participate in the organization and conduct of research projects involving analytical components, and develop quantitative analytical methods as required to address project analytical needs.
· Implement established quantitative analytical methods and assays using GC-FID, GC-ECD, GC-PFPD, GC-NPD, GC/MS, HPLC-UV, IC, and LC/MS/MS, both directly and by mentoring support staff.
· Operate, maintain, and troubleshoot multiple GC, GC/MS, LC/MS/MS, and other instrument systems directly and by instructing and mentoring support staff in these functions.
· Provide analytical advice, analytical method reviews and auditing of contract laboratory data for member companies and forest products industry-affiliated organizations.
· Prepare laboratory reports for project leaders and member companies as well as other written communications that meet the highest standards of quality.
· Present scientifically sound technical information and research findings at NCASI conferences, webcasts, and other technical meetings.
· Maintain comprehensive laboratory notebooks, a neat and orderly laboratory workplace, and adhere to laboratory quality plans, QA/QC measures and SOPs.
· Work safely and contribute to updating and improving laboratory safety practices.
· Supervise support laboratory staff, ensuring maintenance of laboratory equipment and generation and reporting of high-quality analytical results.
· Master's degree in analytical chemistry or closely associated scientific discipline or five plus years of professional experience executing analytical chemistry techniques applied to environmental matrices.
· Hands on experience in environmental test methods such as clean water act methods, clean air act methods, SW 846, and other environmental methods
· Strong verbal and written communication and data analysis skills.
· Strong computer skills with knowledge in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint; experience with or ability to learn industry-specific software such as ChemStation and NCASI's laboratory information management system in a timely manner.
· Must be able to get to and work from the Newberry, Florida office, follow safety procedures, and work at benchtops in office.
· Valid driver's license and a driving record insurable at standard rates.
· Must be able to traverse stairs, effectively manipulate analytical glassware and instrumentation, and stand for long periods while working at benchtops or in the field. May be required to lift and carry equipment up to 30 pounds.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
· PhD in analytical chemistry or closely associated scientific discipline.
· Familiarity with forest products industry environmental topics related to pulping and papermaking process operations.