We help the world see new possibilities and inspire change for better tomorrows. Our analytic solutions bridge content, data, and analytics to help business, people, and society become stronger, more resilient, and sustainable.About The Role
As a New Member Of Verisk AER's Globally Recognized Research And Development Division, You Will Be Able To Take Advantage Of Opportunities For Collaboration Across Our Established Research Programs, Including
Verisk Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER) is looking for a Remote Sensing Researcher with expertise in observational evaluation of precipitating hydrometeor properties. Ideally this expertise will take the form of ground-based remote sensing applications, but expertise in other platforms will be considered.
- Understanding of convective processes and exploration of microphysical impacts
- Detailed validation of cloud, precipitation, and radiative transfer processes using remotely sensed data
- Global Navigation Satellite System Radio Occultation (GNSS-RO) retrievals of temperature, water vapor, and cloud properties
- The application of active and passive remote sensing to the monitoring of greenhouse gases and other air pollutants
In addition, you will be provided both individual and team mentorship to develop your own externally funded research program. The ideal candidate will publish high impact peer-reviewed papers, give presentations at scientific conferences, write proposals and reports, and keep up with relevant scientific, computing, and observational advances.About The Day-to-Day Responsibilities Of The Role
- Contribute to ongoing research program into convective processes through independent completion of both externally and self-directed research tasks.
- Regularly develop innovative techniques to apply hydrometeor observations to answer scientific questions.
- Support other AER groups in the application and use of hydrometeor observations and in the assessment of cloud impacts on remote sensing.
- Show adaptability in performing research tasks outside their immediate research area as needed with minimal spin-up time.
- Develop their own externally funded research program focused on application of hydrometeor observations through research grant proposals and contracts with non-profit and industry clients.
About You and How You Can Excel in This Role
- PhD in Atmospheric Sciences or related disciplines required
- Direct experience in microphysical research with an observational focus. While recent experience with microphysical observations outside of graduate school is preferred, such experience in graduate school will be evaluated if it was the major focus of the candidate's dissertation
- Strong knowledge of retrieving hydrometeor properties via an observational platform and applying them through exploration/definition of physically based processes and/or model validation
- Excellent programming skills in Fortran, Python, and/or other common languages
- Skilled in scientific communication, including writing and public speaking.
- Works well independently and in a diverse team
- Strong leadership and people skills
- Able to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Comfortable with travel
Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER), a Verisk business, has been helping businesses and governments better anticipate and manage climate and weather-related risks for more than 40 years. Large government agencies like NOAA, NASA and the Departments of Defense and Energy rely on AER's scientists to help solve weather and climate related problems of vital national importance in energy, environment and national security. Large insurance, energy and investment firms count on AER to help them decrease weather-related losses and increase profitability by integrating state-of-the-art climate science and weather information into their planning and decision processes.? To learn more about AER please visit us at:?www.aer.com. We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It's the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It's why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It's the aim of our "returnship" program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it's what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers' problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We've been recognized by Forbes as a World's Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk's Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.Consumer Privacy Notice
At Verisk, the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. Effective November 15, 2021, and subject to applicable law, all prospective hires for office based roles or roles that support any of our businesses' government contracts will be required to demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, or qualify for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement, as a condition of employment. Hired candidates who do not demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, and who have not been approved for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation will no longer meet the requirements for employment and their offers of employment will be immediately rescinded, in accordance with applicable law.