We are seeking a Staff Environmental Geologist, Hydrogeologist, or Scientist
to support diverse environmental projects, including site investigations, soil and groundwater monitoring, site characterization, and remediation projects. This position is responsible for both office work and field work, as needed based on changing project workloads.
This position is based in our Emeryville, California office. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the company generally allows employees to conduct office work from home when it does not impact essential company operations. This is an interim policy and subject to change.
Travel to project sites, mostly in the Bay Area, will be required. Must possess a valid California driver's license and have a driving record acceptable to our insurance carrier.
Essential duties of these positions may include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- Collecting field measurements and samples; documenting field observations and activities; lithologic logging and managing drilling; directing/monitoring contractors performing drilling and earthwork; and performing routine maintenance on remote data collection and remediation equipment;
- Managing and directing field activities (e.g., well installation and other remedial activities), including but not limited to scheduling/coordinating, communication with clients, project managers, and subcontractors, and overseeing work of other Weiss field personnel;
- Reviewing field data and notes, performing quality control procedures for field work, and interpreting results to ensure regulatory/permit compliance and evaluate progress;
- Planning, coordinating and writing reports that document field data, including developing figures and tables, analyzing data, and presenting conclusions;
- Analyzing and synthesizing lithologic, hydrologic and geochemical data; and reviewing regulatory requirements and best management practices for environmental compliance;
- Writing reports and other technical documents;
- Assisting with the design and implementation of environmental remedies for site cleanup and surface water projects;
- Training junior staff on essential duties, particularly related to field activities (e.g., groundwater sampling, soil sampling, drilling oversight); and
- Performing other related work as required.
- A BS degree in Geology or Hydrogeology or a related field (graduate degree a plus);
- Three (3) to six (6) years of field and office experience with site investigation and characterization, sampling of soil, groundwater, surface water, and soil vapor;
- Proven experience in directly supervising drilling projects;
- A strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including Word and Excel (AutoCAD and/or ArcGIS a plus);
- Possession of a valid California driver's license and a driving record acceptable to our insurance carrier;
- 40-hour hazardous waste operations and emergency response (HAZWOPER) training and experience working on radiological site investigations highly desirable.
This position is required to participate in our annual medical surveillance program (annual physical) and be deemed fit for duty by qualified physician. Must be willing to remove facial hair, if necessary, for respirator fit test.
Weiss Associates is committed to protecting our employees, clients, vendors, and the public from COVID-19 and its variants. Conditional employment offers include, but are not limited to, the candidate's ability to provide evidence of being fully vaccinated before beginning work or presenting valid documentation of a medical or religious exemption.
To apply, submit resume and cover letter
Employment Type: Full Time
Years Experience: 3 - 5 years