The Environmental, Health, and Safety Manager inspects and evaluates the environment, equipment, and processes in working areas to ensure compliance with all government safety regulations (local, state, and federal) and to industry standards. Their chief goal is to protect employees, customers, and the environment.
Other important EHS manager responsibilities include identifying potentially hazardous material (which can be biological or chemical) and collect samples for analysis, and recommending equipment upgrades or changes in the facility to better protect workers. They will educate employees on how to prevent health problems or injury using safety training programs. They will investigate accidents to identify their causes and find ways to prevent them in the future. The EHS manager will work cross-functionally with other department managers to administer ongoing training programs and will stay abreast of changes in safety regulations. Summary of Hiring Need:
You will have the chance to become immersed in a family-style atmosphere, while enjoying the benefits of being part of a 30+ year established company. As the EHS manager, you will build and shape the North American organization in safety and sustainability, which drives the company daily.The ideal candidate would have the following characteristics:
General Duties & Responsibilities
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Growth mindset
- Can-do attitude
- Strong ability to communicate with empathy
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the Departments, the Corporation, and the Community; and maintains the professional competence, knowledge, and skills necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities.
- Establishes and implements procedures, in coordination with all departments, to satisfy standards and regulations related to health, safety, and environment.
- Develops Safety and Health standards and procedures and ensures they are implemented by everyone in the corporation.
- Organizes and implements systems in handling hazards, near misses, accidents, first aid, emergency response plans, including the necessary follow-ups, reporting, recording, monitoring, and information circulation company wide.
- Reports internally (and externally as needed) on a weekly, monthly and yearly basis on Safety, OHSA and the Facility with clear and concise metrics. Cross departmental reporting will include: Finance, Factory, and Executive Management Teams as needed.
- Inspects the facility daily to identify safety, health, and environmental risks. Drafts inspection Reports, Project Lists and Work Lists to document inspection findings, and follows up to complete projects in a timely manner. Reports back to the Director of Manufacturing and VP of Operations with all work progress.
- Must be available and on-call for factory and warehouse accidents/emergencies. Fills out all necessary reports and follow up with department managers and supervisors and with reports and resolutions.
- Develops and implements inspection policies and procedures, and a schedule for routine inspections.
- Prepares and schedules internal and external training classes, including emergency procedures, workplace safety, and other relevant topics. Maintains all records for trainings.
- Meets and trains all managers and supervisors, as well as all new employees, during the onboarding process. Schedules all follow-up meetings to make sure rules and regulations are enforced.
- Monitors compliance with safety procedures.
- Ensures that material safety data sheets and safety data sheets are maintained and readily accessible when needed.
- Maintains records of discharge of employees due to exposure to hazardous waste and/or pollutants, as required.
- Oversees the Weekly and Monthly Safety Committee and its functions.
- Identifies and maintains process for all required PPE for all facilities and PPE supplies for the factory with procurement.
- Oversees Workers Compensation reporting, follow up, etc.
- Assists with developing, implementing, managing, and maintaining HazCom programs.
- Manages sampling, classification, labeling, manifesting and documentation for transportation, inspections, reporting and emergency preparedness.
- Implements corporate safety policies to comply with EPA, or other environmental, safety or health requirements.
- Develops and trains management and staff in all areas of ISO 9001, 14001 and OHSAS 18001.
- Organizes First Aid/CPR classes for employees and ensures that all contractors follow all rules that employees must maintain. Work with HR to maintain these and all employee records.
- Works with all companies that perform regular maintenance. i.e. fire extinguishers, water systems, etc.
- Has flexibility to work days, evenings and weekends as necessary to ensure all shifts are randomly checked as needed.
Training, Knowledge and Experience (May Be Required or Preferred, at the discretion of the hiring team)
- Occasionally lifts and / or carries up to 50 pounds.
- Maneuvers in, around, under and about factory and / or laboratory equipment on a regular and continuous basis.
- Some of work time is spent sitting, standing, walking, lifting, and bending.
- Works within a manufacturing, office and laboratory setting and may be exposed to heat, cold and fumes/chemicals.
- PPE must be worn as required.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Extensive knowledge of environmental regulations and policies.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in technology and equipment used in environmental inspections.
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental Safety, Occupational Safety and Health, or related field required, Master's degree desirable.
- Five years of related experience preferred.