Velia is a transformative biotech company with the ambitious goal to harness the therapeutic potential of a novel class of human peptides. Building upon our founders' seminal work, the Velia team is constructing and deploying a novel target discovery pipeline that integrates computational science, high throughput profiling, functional genomics, and human clinical data. Innovative discovery scientists are encouraged to apply and bring intellectual curiosity, scientific rigor, and a strong desire to discover important, new medicines for patients.
As a Molecular Biology Scientist, you will be a member of an interdisciplinary team focused on new target discovery and the development of first first-in in-class therapeutics. You will be responsible for the design, execution, interpretation, and troubleshooting of studies aimed to discover and characterize novel microproteins. You will leverage a strong technical and scientific foundation to come up with creative hypotheses to uncover novel biology and potential mechanisms of action.Key Responsibilities:
- Establish and maintain translational cellular systems including primary cells
- Design and execute molecular biology tools to build DNA constructs and engineered cell models aimed at modulating target peptides within cells
- Optimize and execute Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS)-based assays (RNA-seq, Ribo-seq, …)
- Successfully navigate technical difficulties and implement creative, thoughtful solutions
- Keep detailed and organized records of experimental protocols and results
- Stay up-to-date with emerging scientific literature and share your ideas liberally
- Drive multiple scientific efforts in parallel
- Collaborate and communicate across a diverse scientific team to successfully progress Velia goals
- A PhD degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or related field with 5+ years of hands-on research experience in an industrial or academic setting
- Hands-on experience with cloning, mutagenesis, RNA/DNA preparations, CRISPR, and cell culture
- Experience with NGS and NGS applications is required, which may include nucleic acids manipulation, library preparation, target enrichment, and sequencing data analysis
- Prior experience in a drug-discovery setting is a plus
- Keen analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to resolve routine issues using appropriate information
- The ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently, communicate clearly, work within departmental groups, and to build open and collaborative relationships is essential
We offer a vibrant startup environment where every member of the Velia team will play a role in shaping a culture of inclusion, scientific exploration, and openness. We offer competitive compensation, including stock options, and a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid time off, medical, dental, vision, 401K, and a flexible spending account.
Velia is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and will consider all applicants for employment.