HELIX Environmental Planning, Inc
Description: HELIX Environmental Planning, Inc.
(HELIX), a growing, employee-owned California-based environmental consulting and planning firm, is seeking a team orientated and motivated Environmental Compliance Specialist
with critical thinking skills and a strong work ethic, to join our office located in San Diego, CA. HELIX provides CEQA/NEPA, biological, cultural resource management, habitat restoration, regulatory permitting, environmental compliance monitoring, acoustics and noise control, GIS, and air quality and greenhouse gas services to both the public and private sectors.
Why work for HELIX? We prioritize our employees. We have been an employee-owned firm since 2004, providing employees a vested interest in the firm's success through our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). HELIX placed in the top three for environmental consulting firms and in the top ten for firms in our size range (100 to 199 employees) nationwide in the ZweigWhite Best Firms to Work For 2021 survey. Our employees describe us as team-oriented, caring, flexible, and driven by our standards of integrity. In addition to our competitive benefit package, we also have robust, award-winning wellness, professional growth, employee development training and community volunteer programs, and we support a hybrid work environment that balances the ability to work in the office and from home, when needed.Benefits
HELIX offers a competitive benefits package, that includes:
Environmental Compliance Specialist Duties and Responsibilities:
- Health Coverage (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Life Insurance
- Personal Time Off
- Bonus Program
- ESOP participation
- 401K participation
The Environmental Compliance Specialist will be a member of the HELIX biology division and will work collaboratively with our team to provide a full range of environmental compliance services to our clients, including:
- Supporting biology project managers by overseeing the environmental compliance on projects including assembling and overseeing multi-disciplinary technical monitoring teams; preparing environmental compliance documentation; tracking schedules and budgets; interfacing with contractors, clients, agency personnel, and others regarding environmental compliance.
- Assist with identifying, rectifying, and reporting all noncompliance project items.
- Assist with other project deliverables such as compliance reporting requirements and maintaining and organizing project details, schedules, and budgets.
- Attend meetings with HELIX project managers and other project leads to assist with completing action items, client communication, and developing solutions to compliance challenges and issues.
The Environmental Compliance Specialist may be required to conduct environmental compliance related fieldwork on occasion; however, primary responsibilities are not fieldwork related. The ideal candidate must possess strong communication, analytical, and creative problem-solving skills because critical aspects of this position include developing solutions for project challenges, as well as forging strong, collaborative relationships and building consensus among team members, staff, clients, and agencies. A flexible mindset and adaptability to changing circumstances is imperative.
Please submit a cover letter with your resume.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and an inclusive work environment. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, disability, age, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service or veteran status. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring, appraisal systems, promotions, training, and career development programs.
#biology #biologist #environmental #environmentalscience #naturalresources #projectmanagement #environmentalcompliance #constructioncompliance
Requirements: Minimum Requirements for Environmental Compliance Specialist:
Additional skills considered a plus:
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) in an environmental science, biology, or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of demonstrated experience (outside of academic requirements) in the environmental monitoring or consulting field carrying out biological compliance monitoring, conducting field studies, and/or writing environmental documents.
- Demonstrated knowledge of biological resources in southern California.
- Demonstrated experience overseeing compliance with regulatory permit requirements.
- Demonstrated knowledge of local, state, and federal environmental policies and regulations.
- Experience with field data collection methods and equipment.
- Possess excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Master's degree or higher in Biology, Natural Resources, or related field.
- Experience managing large-scale environmental compliance projects, preferably linear construction projects.
- Knowledge of construction methodologies or direct construction experience.
- Experience with regulatory permitting in California with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, California Department of Fish and Wildlife, and Regional Water Quality Control Board.
- Experience mentoring/leading less experienced biologists.