395C-YN - Environmental Control Technician 3*Business Title:*
Environmental Control Technician, Senior*Additional Titles: *
WSU SPOKANE CAMPUS*Employee Type:*
Civil Service - OT Eligible*Position Details:*
*Summary of Duties:*
Independently organize, monitor, evaluate and make necessary adjustments to established hazardous materials management programs. Performs investigations, develops, reviews, and provides recommendations to draft plans and specifications for projects. Performs complex technical duties in one or more major areas of an institutions environmental health and safety program. Operates direct service programs related to hazardous chemical/material disposal and general safety. Supports other environmental health and safety programs including spill prevention and response to the release of toxic materials and hazardous chemical wastes.
Hazardous Material Management: 35%
* Under the oversights of the Director of Environmental Health and Safety, oversee the implementation of chemical and universal waste management programs including waste designation, collection, recycling, treating and packaging for off-site disposal; perform recordkeeping and data entry of chemical waste management activities.
* Under the oversights of the Director of Environmental Health and Safety, oversee in the implementation of a chemical spill response program including spill control plans and procedures, maintaining spill response equipment and required training and responding to chemical spills.
* Use direct reading instruments and assist in industrial hygiene investigations, including reporting and recommendations for adjustments or corrections.
Support Occupational Health and Safety Programs: 35%
* Under the oversights of the Director of Environmental Health and Safety, oversee the implementation of Occupational Health and Safety Programs including laboratory safety, indoor air quality, hearing conservation, respiratory protection, and hazard communication, perform hazard assessments and support industrial health and safety on the Spokane campus.
Support Other Environmental Services Programs: 20%
* Under the oversights of the Director of Environmental Health and Safety, oversee the implementation of other Environmental Services programs and projects including PCB management, oil Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures, Emergency Planning/Community Right-To-Know, emergency management, energy management, contaminated site remediation, underground storage tank management and wastewater permit compliance on the Spokane Campus.
Chemical Spill Prevention and Response: 5%
* Under the oversights of the Director of Environmental Health and Safety, oversee the implementation of a chemical spill response program including spill control plans and procedures, maintaining spill response equipment and required training and responding to chemical spills. Use direct reading instruments and assist in industrial hygiene investigations.
* Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
A Bachelor's degree in science, engineering, or related field and one (1) year of experience as an Environmental Control Technician or equivalent, OR two (2) years of experience as an Environmental Control Technician; OR equivalent education/experience.
* Must have a valid Driver's License.
* Must be able to complete EPA asbestos building inspector training.
* Must be able to complete OSHA chemical waste and spill response training.
* Must have the ability to wear a full face air purifying respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus.
* A Bachelor's Degree in environmental, biological, chemical or physical science, or an appropriate engineering or public health field.
* Work experience in an environmental health and safety field may substitute, year for year, for required education.
In accordance with Washington State Governor's Proclamation 21.14.2, as a condition of employment, you must be fully vaccinated or have an approved medical/religious accommodation by time of hire. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving their last shot in a vaccine series. Full vaccination status or an approved accommodation will be verified prior to your first day of work. Should you not be fully vaccinated or have an approved medical/religious accommodation you will not be able to start employment with WSU. Information regarding vaccine verification and/or requesting a medical/religious accommodation is available at https://hrs.wsu.edu/covid-19/vax-verification/. Please contact HRS at email@example.com or 509-335-4521 if you have questions.
*Area/College:* WSU Spokane
*Department Name:* WSUS Administration
*City, State, Zip:* Spokane, WA 99202
*Department Link:* [https://spokane.wsu.edu/](https://spokane.wsu.edu/)
Range 40, $3,144.00 - $4,083.00
Successful candidates typically begin at the beginning of the salary range and receive scheduled salary increment increases in accordance with WAC 357-28 or applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement.
This is a *Permanent *position
*Screening Begin Date:** **April 11, 2022*; open until filled
*Background Check:* This position has been designated by the department to require a background check.
*Application Instructions:* Applicants must attach the following documents to their online application: 1) resume and 2) cover letter. Applicants are required to include contact information for professional references within the application. Application materials should clearly communicate how the applicant meets all required qualifications and additional requirements.
Full time*Position Term:*
12 MonthWASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EDUCATOR AND EMPLOYER. Members of ethnic minorities, women, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam-era, recently separated veterans, and other protected veteran, persons of disability and/or persons age 40 and over are encouraged to apply.
WSU employs only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized non-U.S. citizens. All new employees must show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
WSU is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact Human Resource Services: 509-335-4521 (v), Washington State TDD Relay Service: Voice Callers: 1-800-833-6384; TDD Callers: 1-800-833-6388, 509-335-1259(f), or [firstname.lastname@example.org](https://email@example.com).