GHD has an exciting opportunity in Northern or Southern California for an Senior Biologist! The Senior Biologist position will involve working with a team of natural resources scientists, environmental planners, engineers, and others to achieve project goals! GHD's US West Region Natural Resources and Impact Assessment (NR&IA) Group supports projects throughout California. Project work will largely include a variety of capital improvement projects in the Western US, in addition to opportunities for both national and international projects. You will contribute to proposals and business development, leading and building a team of scientists, and mentoring and teaching young professionals. Responsibilities
The ideal candidate would have the following skills
- Leading client relations, scheduling work, handling scopes of work, and managing budgets
- Communicate effectively with project team members and key individuals
- Provide technical oversight of report preparation, QA/QC, project coordination, and other management duties
- Proposal development including scope and fees
- Develop project mitigation and supervising strategies and plans
- Apply technical understanding of key regulations (federal, state, and local)
- Work with Natural Resources & Impact Assessment team members to secure federal, state, and municipal environmental permits as well as support critical initiatives
- Be a primary point of contact with internal and external clients to provide guidance on natural resource issues and deliver outstanding client service
- Develop relationships with other strategic clients within the professional community
- Grow the GHD brand as an authority in the natural resources space - this means staying up on the latest technologies, and bringing new ideas to project teams
- Flexibility to support field efforts, which may include long days and travel out of the region to construction sites
- Significant experience authoring NEPA, CEQA, Federal and State ESA documents and biology chapters as well as environmental permits such as 1602s, 404s, 401s, etc.
- Experience interacting with a variety of stakeholders including private entities, municipalities, and regulatory agencies
- Proven track record of wining work
- Ability to develop a team of personnel effectively, as well as lead complex projects
- Meticulous in the ability to balance a diverse and changing workload
- Experience with project oversight and compliance, including leading biological construction monitoring efforts
- Expertise in both wildlife biology and fisheries preferred
- MS in Natural Resources, Biology, Wildlife Biology, Fisheries, or related degree
- 10 years of proven experience in the field completing natural resources surveys and assessments (particularly for special status species) and/or similar qualifications that demonstrate a technical competence regarding biological resources in the Bay Area and/or southern California
- 8 years of experience in environmental consulting, and 6 years of full cycle project management experience
- Possession of current USFWS 10(a)(1)(A) Permits and CDFW Scientific Collecting Permits/MOUs for Bay Area and/or southern California wildlife or fisheries species (terrestrial and/or aquatic) preferred
- Certified Wildlife Scientist or similar certification is a bonus
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder)
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status or veteran status.
Being the best we can be is in our culture.
We are a family of smart, innovative and creative problem solvers. In our employee-owned company, everything feels like it matters more. Challenge us and help us come up with new solutions to ensure water, energy and urbanisation are made sustainable for generations to come.
Our commitment to you
Commitment is a powerful word that defines how we do business, how we serve our clients and how we care for one another. We will support your needs by giving you the tools to do your best work and then recognise achievements. We will set your curiosity free to allow brilliant minds to do their best work. We will invest in new ideas, removing barriers where we can. Finally, we will encourage you to collaborate with thousands of diverse people across our global business.
Who we are
We are committed to solving the world's biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanisation. GHD is a global professional services company that is a leader in engineering, construction and architectural expertise. Established in 1928, we remain wholly owned by our people. We are 10,000+ diverse and skilled individuals, yet we are proudly 'One GHD' across more than 200 offices, spanning five continents - Asia, Australia, Europe, North and South America, and the Pacific region. Delivering extraordinary social and economic outcomes, we are passionate about building lasting relationships with our partners and clients.
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with GHD's US vaccination policy and any applicable government regulations related to COVID-19. Individuals hired for GHD positions that require in-person interactions with GHD Clients, or in-person visits to, or work at, GHD Clients sites, must comply with Client imposed requirements, including, in some instances, being fully vaccinated against COVID-19. GHD complies with federal, state, and local laws with regard to accommodations related to this policy.