LyondellBasell Industries, one of the world's largest plastics, chemical and refining companies, is seeking a R&D Polymers Technician for our Cincinnati Technology Center (CTC), a state-of-the-art polymers research center supporting LyondellBasell's North American Polymers business.
The R&D Polymers Technician will be responsible for operating a variety of polymer processing and testing equipment, primarily in the R&D Applications laboratory, dependent on the needs of the Materials Property Development (MPD) group. This work will be performed in support of the product development, mechanical recycling, technical service and plant service needs of the Polypropylene and Polyethylene business units.
The position offers a competitive base salary, annual bonus, 401K matching, generous benefits package, pension plan, employee discounts and much more.
Roles & Responsibilities
The R&D Polymers Technician operates a variety of polymer processing equipment, including extrusion / compounding equipment, for LyondellBasell's Polyolefin products in rigid / molding (e.g., blow molding, injection molding, pipe, etc.) and flexible / extrusion (e.g., packaging film, etc.) applications.
• Accountable for personal safety, the safety of co-workers and promoting a safe work environment; responsible for carrying out all work activities in a safe manner at all times in compliance with company, federal and state regulations.
• Operate a variety of polymer processing and testing equipment, primarily in the R&D Applications laboratory, dependent on the needs of the MPD group.
• Initial responsibilities will include reactive extrusion compounding in support of product development or other MPD projects, and providing import / export support as point person for international shipments.
• Interface effectively with R&D Researchers with the planning, execution, problem solving, and communication of experimental results.
• Work effectively with others in MPD, the Applications Lab, Physical Testing, and Analytical in a team environment to ensure competent execution of assigned tasks.
• Attain a working knowledge of other laboratory areas by cross-training with co-workers.
• Identify and implement quality, safety and reliability driven improvements. This may include participation in site teams.
• Operate and assist in maintaining equipment and processes in any assigned areas in accordance with LyondellBasell Standard Operating Procedures and Site/Corporate Safety policies.
• Troubleshoot and coordinate repairs of assigned equipment, including working with site maintenance personnel when appropriate.
• Engage in frequent dialog with supervisor and others to continually enhance personal and group safety, performance, and development.
Education / Work Experience:
1. Associates Degree preferred in related technical field, preferably with 5 or more years of relevant experience working in R&D or Manufacturing laboratory, or equivalent related industry operations
1. Commitment to personal safety and the safety of coworkers, including intervening when necessary.
2. Highly self-motivated individual, adept at working independently to complete assigned tasks punctually, effectively and safely.
3. Excellent trouble-shooting and mechanical skills, to maintain process equipment.
4. Excellent attention to detail and problem solving skills.
5. Positive team behaviors, including interpersonal skills, positive attitude, sharing information, and giving and accepting feedback.
6. Ability to interact and communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing with internal customers and co-workers to determine needs and communicate results in a timely manner.
7. Good organizational and time management skills, in order to effectively manage multiple and/or changing priorities.
8. Strong computer skills; basic math skills and data analysis using MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook.
9. Polymer knowledge preferred.
10. Knowledge of a variety of polymer processing and related equipment, including compounding/extrusion.
11. Ability to quickly learn new polymer transformation processes and related technologies.
12. Mentor other technicians in areas of expertise.
13. Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time up to 6-10 hours per day.
14. Ability to climb 51 steps at a time from occasionally to frequently.
15. Ability to climb a 15 foot ladder up to 8 times a day.
16. Ability to lift up to 60 pounds from waist to shoulder occasionally and to carry or lift up to 25 pounds frequently.
17. Ability to exert up to 70 pounds of push or pull force and 40 pounds of grip force.
18. Good eye hand coordination and range of motion.
Builds effective teams
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2022, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for the fifth consecutive year.
We have the potential - and responsibility - to use this scale and reach to make a positive impact across our value chains. That's why we are working to make meaningful progress to address some of the world's most pressing challenges such as reducing plastic waste in the environment, helping to mitigate climate change and contributing to a thriving society for our employees, the communities where we operate and the people who depend on our products. To learn more, click here.
Nearest Major Market: Cincinnati