Responsible for managing the Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) Program for adherence to local, state, and federal regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish, administer, and update specific EH&S programs for compliance with state and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Department of Transportation (DOT) and other regulations as necessary. Manage OSHA and EPA records and maintain reporting and documentation standards.
- Provide initial and periodic safety and environmental training to all employees as required and advise management on safety and environmental issues. Review new regulatory standards and make compliance recommendations.
- Inspect the facility for compliance with OSHA and EPA regulations as applicable. Recommend solutions to management that address deficiencies in EH&S compliance. Submit work orders for facility corrective action on EH&S concerns.
- Assist in the development of EH&S programs and metrics.
- Manage the hazardous waste (RCRA) and medical waste disposal function including waste profiling, permitting, manifesting, and record keeping and reporting.
- Assist management team in emergency response and function as EH&S Emergency Coordinator for 24-hour incident response.
- Serve as Chairperson of the Safety Committee. Assist in the investigation of injuries resulting in lost time claims and/or safety violations and property damage. Make recommendations for corrective action. Provide regulatory guidance on EH&S issues to all staff.
- Available to clients and federal and state investigators to explain procedures and produce written documentation as proof of compliance.
- Request and maintain necessary facility permits, licenses and compliance reports to federal, local and state regulatory authorities.
- Obtain necessary licenses to function as wastewater and underground storage tank operator.
- Coordinate communications to regulatory agencies and client inspections on EH&S related matters.
- May assist in development of departmental budget.
- As required, oversee maintenance of group training manual and training records.
- Support the policy of equal employment opportunity through affirmative action in personnel actions.
- Ensure adherence to pertinent regulatory requirements and to departmental policies, practices and procedures [SOPs, safety procedures and biosafety protocols.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned
- Education: Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering or related discipline.
- Experience: Five or more years related experience in Environmental Health & Safety.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: None.
- Other: Ability to interpret federal and state regulation and apply them to address compliance solutions as required. Effective writing, organizational and time management skills. Computer skills including MS Office and database management.
- Must regularly communicate with employees/customers; must be able to exchange accurate information.
- Must occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Must be able to walk regularly from one neighboring location to the other, walk a flight of stairs.
- Must be able to safely shepherd and exit employees during an emergency.
General office working conditions, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
This position requires frequent domestic travel.