At Fannie Mae, futures are made. The inspiring work we do makes an affordable home a reality and a difference in the lives of Americans. Every day offers compelling opportunities to impact the future of the housing industry while being part of an inclusive team thriving in an energizing environment. Here, you will help lead our industry forward and make your career.Job DescriptionTHE IMPACT YOU WILL MAKE
The Economic and Strategic Research - Economics - Lead Associate role will offer you the flexibility to make each day your own, while working alongside people who care so that you can deliver on the following responsibilities:
Qualifications***HIRING MANAGERS AND DELEGATES: DO NOT EDIT THIS SECTION.***THE EXPERIENCE YOU BRING TO THE TEAMMinimum Required Experiences
- Contribute to the team's research efforts, using public and company data to inform and quantify the impact of proposed or implemented policy changes. Conduct research to understand prior market, social, or other developments relevant to internal or external stakeholders using statistical and other recognized methods. Current projects focus on mortgages, housing affordability, racial disparities, green housing and mortgage products, climate change, and demographics.
- Apply research best practices to the development and ongoing improvement of forecasts, indices, and surveys, including the evaluation of Fannie Mae's products and policies. Responsibilities may also involve operationalizing statistical tools and models to provide analysis for downstream users (e.g. home price forecasts or indices, or survey results).
- Ensure the team is up to date on economic, market, and regulatory developments along with relevant academic and practitioner research through conducting literature reviews and attending academic and industry conferences.
- Translate findings for non-technical audiences, such as industry partners, business customers, or the media.
- In addition to working on real-world problems in a business setting, ESR economists have the opportunity to conduct independent research, collaborate with outside academic partners, and develop papers targeted for publication and presentation at conferences. Such activities are encouraged and supported.
- Expertise in using statistical methods and econometric techniques.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with data, including working with large datasets, interpret statistical findings, and draw conclusions related to research questions and the broader literature.
- Ability to work with people with different functional expertise respectfully and cooperatively towards a common goal.
- Skilled in Excel and Stata or SAS.
- PhD economics or a related field is preferred.
- The ideal candidate will have experience working with large datasets and with mortgage-related data.
- Research experience in urban, housing, or real estate economics or policy. One of our positions will be specifically focused on climate and hazard risks (such as flood) and the housing market, the other position is open to a broad range of topical interests.
- Experience using R.
In response to COVID-19, Fannie Mae has adapted our workplace and hiring processes to better safeguard our employees, candidates, and new hires. We understand that this is an unprecedented situation and Fannie Mae is committed to creating protocols for these processes that are agile and conform with federal, state, and local health administration guidance. While the company's operating status for on-site work is currently voluntary, the majority of Fannie Mae's workforce is remote until further notice. We continue to conduct all interviews and onboarding virtually. In addition, all employees who wish to come on site must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and enter their vaccination information into a confidential HR system before arriving at the facility, unless they have an approved accommodation. Click here to go directly to information about accommodations.
The future is what you make it to be. Discover compelling opportunities at careers.fanniemae.com.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, personal appearance, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation in the application process, email us at email@example.com.