Apply Now (https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageType=JobDetails&partnerid=25366&siteid=5252&jobid=578706) Apply Later
Environmental Health and Safety Officer
Department Description:Supporting the Health and Safety needs of BIDMC. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute, learn and grow in your knowledge of EH&S in the fast-paced and complex venue of a major Harvard Academic Medical Center.
Job Location:Boston, Massachusetts
Job Summary:Reports to the Director, Environmental Health and Safety, within the Capital Facilities and Engineering Division. Safety Officer will be assigned to be primarily accountable for specific programs to achieve EHS team responsibilities and outcomes. This position is responsible for providing in-depth technical and program support over a wide range of departmental safety officer functions depending on priorities, skills and needs. Emphasis will be on site EH&S assurance for meeting environmental regulations, life safety/fire safety standards, OSHA, other regulatory workplace safety standards, hazardous material, waste water, chemical safety, and research safety compliance. Depending on needs and priorities of the EHS department, Safety Officer may also be responsible for programs such as interim life safety, indoor air quality, asbestos and other environmental compliance. This position interacts and, at times, provides a leadership role with hospital management and supervisory staff to assist with unit based safety program development and implementation. Position requires interface with TJC, OSHA, BFD, MWRA, DEP and other agencies. This position will be expected to work toward developing, implementing and assessing site compliance with internal standards, regulatory agency, and other relevant national guidelines and standards. This position works independently and/or under the daily direction of the Director or EHS project leader to implement programs and accomplish technically challenging tasks. Position routinely collaborates with other EH&S staff to assure continuous coverage of all departments duties.
- Responsible for components of the safety compliance program. Provides support in meeting fire and life safety standards and interim life safety measures (ILSM). Life Safety Team member in conducting and evaluating preparedness and response to fire emergencies and fire drills. Acts as a resource with inspections, drills, and other concerns related to code red preparedness.
- Responsible for components of the chemical safety and compliance program. Position provides support for programs including hazardous materials, waste water, research safety, IACUC reviews and hazardous material response. Responsible for implementing medical center safety programs to ensure appropriate adherence with federal, state and local regulations.
- Responsible for encountered industrial hygiene needs, including exposure monitoring to chemicals and other environmental exposures. Analyzes site findings and potential hazard control methods and develops, in conjunction with the EHS Director, recommendations to assure continued worker safety.
- Serves as a project resource and primary contact with Facilities, Maintenance Operations, other departments and contractors to assure a thorough EH&S evaluation of facilities-related projects with follow up as required. May lead and coordinate response with other support departments to resolve issues.
- Implements and assures site EH&S program requirements such as permit required confined spaces, lockout-tag out and asbestos compliance. Actively works in the field providing training to various departments in OSHA mandated safety programs such confined spaces, lockout-tag out, asbestos compliance and maintenance general safety training.
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental Science required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Must have 2-5 years of experience in environmental regulations or environmental health & safety related field, preferably in a hospital or similar environment.
- Requires strong knowledge of environmental health & safety regulations, requirements, equipment, processes and services of the medical center. Demonstrates ability to mobilize resources necessary to complete projects and implement resources to measure program effectiveness. A high degree of flexibility is necessary in order to support change in an environment with changing regulations and needs
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Hazwoper, RCRA/DOT, OSHA, HICS, HEM, CIH, CHEM and/or CSP.
- Must be comfortable and competent with basic computer programs including PowerPoint, Access, Excel, and other general office software
- Must have organization, communication (oral and written) and analytical skills.
- Decision Making:Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving:Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action:Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications:Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications:Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge:Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work:Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service:Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.