Associate Director/Director Biology
at Flare Therapeutics
To date, the collective research on transcription factors has been elusive to drug discovery. Flare Therapeutics, an early-stage biotech, has now reached a moment of light - with the prospect of forever changing the trajectory of how we treat disease. We are trailblazing the path to transcription factors by intervening at a previously hidden region we have identified as the 'switch site.' Join us and help illuminate the path to the possible.
Join an agile, multidisciplinary team meeting the future of precision medicine-driven drug discovery today. Be part of a team at the intersection of pre-clinical, translational studies and early clinical program advancement leveraging molecular real-world data and applying next-gen disruptive technology to bridge the bench to patient paradigm. The Associate Director/Director of Biology will play a key role in driving the organization's internal drug discovery assets from early-stage development programs spanning early target identification to translational support for development candidates to fast track to clinic.
In this role you will…
- Act as a senior member of the biology team by providing key insights and experimental design oversight of a diverse range of activities (including, but not limited to oversight of engine activities for early target prioritization, cellular screening efforts, mechanisms of action and resistance studies, disease/indication expansion, biomarker assay development)
- Provide technical leadership in identifying novel model systems (in vitro, in vivo - CDX/PDX/GEM models, ex vivo settings) and overseeing/supporting the execution of in vitro and animal studies, in advancing our lead asset programs
- Work effectively with an interdisciplinary team of medicinal chemists, biochemists, biologists, as well as bioinformatics, translational medicine and clinical development subject matter experts, to enable and manage lead assets from our increasingly diverse portfolio of preclinical programs
- Provide scientific guidance on designing, implementing, and analyzing preclinical data, including binding and biochemical assays, cellular functional assays, PK/PD, safety, and efficacy studies
- Craft the strategy to implement novel capabilities (e.g., proteomic/metabolic biomarker profiling, multi-omics analyses, imaging and/or spatiotemporal assays) that support elucidation of underlying biology in support of translational hypotheses that advance our lead asset programs
- Be directly involved in the expansion of the biology team, recruiting key talent and managing, developing and mentoring team members as we rapidly evolve from startup mode to fully realized agile organization
- Partner with our operational functions to enable the optimal support model commensurate with the biology team's future end state
- Be accountable to deliver and present key data packages and data-driven scientific updates to the organization that impact engine and pipeline milestones and decisions
- You have your PhD in a relevant scientific field such as molecular or cell biology, or biochemistry
- You have at least 5+ years of industry experience including relevant experience as a senior member of a small molecule, oncology drug development project team
- You have biomarker discovery and assay development experience
- You have previous experience recruiting, developing, and leading scientists
- You have overseen a diverse range of contract research organizations from both the people management and complex project enablement perspective
- Translational biology experience supporting pre-clinical and/or familiarity/exposure to clinical stage assets a plus, any experience in contributing to IND filing would be highly advantageous
- You consider yourself to be a self-starter with a great ability to prioritize and balance multiple tasks, meet multiple deadlines, and thrive in a dynamically changing and fast-paced environment
- You have strong communication skills, both written and verbal, especially delivering compelling scientific narratives attuned to a particular audience
- You have a strong passion for science and are driven by making a meaningful contribution for patients
Flare Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
TO ALL AGENCIES: Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of Flare about our openings. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee at Flare via email, the internet or in any form and/or method will be deemed the sole property of Flare, unless such search firms/employment agencies were engaged by Flare for this position and a valid agreement with Flare is in place. In the event a candidate who was submitted outside of the Flare agency engagement process is hired, no fee or payment of any kind will be paid.
29 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116
P (617) 585-2000