Posting Details Resume/CV Cover Letter Optional Documents Unofficial Letters of Recommendation
TEMP LA Veterinary Assistant
VetMed-VTH Large Animal Hosp
About the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities, is the states oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education ( ). UGA is currently ranked among the top 15 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The Universitys main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,700 full-time staff. The Universitys enrollment exceeds 39,000 students including over 30,000 undergraduates and over 9,000 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 18 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.
About the College/Unit/Department
The University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine, founded in 1946, is dedicated to training future veterinarians, providing services to animal owners and veterinarians, and conducting investigations to improve the health of animals as well as people. The college benefits pets and their owners, food-producing animals, and wildlife by offering the highest quality hospital and diagnostic laboratory services. Equipped with the most technologically advanced facilities located on a university campus, the college is dedicated to safeguarding public health by studying emerging infectious diseases that affect both animal and human health.
The College of Veterinary Medicine values all members of the university community, recognizing that differences in experience and culture can only lead to a more well-rounded, accepting academic environment. We have an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in our Principles of Community (http://vet.uga.edu/principles-of-community/).
Additional Schedule Information
Anticipated Start Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Location of Vacancy
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR (email@example.com).
PLEASE NOTE: On December 7, 2021, the federal District Court for the Southern District of Georgia issued a preliminary injunction against enforcing the vaccine requirement for
Federal Contractors pending further review. As a result, the requirements of the Executive Order and associated guidance, including the vaccination requirement for covered contractor employees, are currently not in effect.
The University of Georgia is a Federal Contractor as defined by Presidential Executive Order 14042 and subject to the requirement that Federal Contractors must ensure that all covered employees, including those working remotely, are fully vaccinated by January 4, 2022. You may be required to show proof of your fully vaccinated status at the time of your start date, or have received a medical or religious exemption from the fully vaccinated requirement at the time of your start date. For more information regarding the Federal Contractor fully vaccinated employment requirement please visit or call (706) 542-2222.
Please approximate the percentage of time spent on each task (out of 100%) during a typical work week. List these tasks in order of importance, with the most critical task coming first. Do not list more than 6 entries do not go below 5% time per assigned duty.
- Provide intermediate animal care to patients: water, feed, transport, restrain, groom.
- Administer medication, monitor vital signs, take samples of bodily fluids, either blood or urine.
- Assists senior veterinary staff and clinicians with animal care.
Percentage of time
- Individual assists with all aspects of the patients treatment and care, has a clear knowledge of the patients medical condition, treatment, prognosis and plan.
- Informs attending clinician on any change or decomposition of the patients condition in an informed and timely manner.
- When appropriate, is self-motivated to use downtime to not only attend to in house but also to assist other sister units with patient care and treatment.
Percentage of time
- Stock supplies of cleaning products and patient care equipment.
- Ensure facility cleanliness with the use of mop, broom, chemical cleaning supplies to sanitize cages and the floors.
Percentage of time
Minimum Qualifications should list both the minimum degree and the field which the degree must be earned. If prior work experience is required, the posting should list both the job in which the experience must be gained, and the minimum duration that will be accepted.
Temporary Technical Paraprofessional
UGA Job Code
This position will give assistance to the senior veterinary technicians and veterinary staff on the care of ill or injured client-owned animals brought to the Veterinary Medicine Teaching Hospital in the hopes of recovery.
Relevant/Preferred Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification in Position
- Hands on experience within a general animal healthcare setting working with various species of animals.
- Rabies vaccinated.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
- Properly handle and restrain various species of animals.
- Effectively communicate.
- Work in a fast-paced environment while demonstrating excellent customer service, high degree of confidentiality, openness to teaching and providing consultation to a variety of stakeholders.
- Proficient in prioritizing and completing treatments/patient care duties in a timely fashion.
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Sit, stoop, bend intermittently during the day on hard floor surfaces.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to accurately work with small, delicate pieces of equipment or large heavy objects/containers/machinery.
- Wear all protective gear including mask, gloves, gown, hairnet, safety goggles etc.
- Work for long periods of time with arms extended.
- Work within an environment that has high levels of animal sounds, bodily fluids that need disposal, and open wound management.
Is this a Position of Trust?
Does this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?
Does this position require a P-Card?
Is having a P-Card an essential function of this position?
Is driving a requirement of this position?
Does this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?
Does this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications)
Recruitment Contact Name
Recruitment Contact Email
Recruitment Contact Phone
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).