We are seeking a bright and highly motivated individual for a Sr. Research Technician position in the laboratory of Dr. David Waxman in the Department of Biology at Boston University.
We use cutting edge molecular biology techniques and technologies, cell culture, and animal (mouse) models, including high throuput sequecing-based technologies, to study the effects of hormones on the sex-dependent regulation of liver drug metabolism and drug action, and the impact of exposure to environmental chemicals on these processes. An important goal of these studies is to undertsand the mechanisms whereby the hormonal environment and exposure to foreign chemicals can impact the develoment of liver diseases, including fatty liver disease and liver cancer.
This position is ideal for an experienced individual looking for a professionally fullfilling full-time research laboratory position in an academic setting, and who is interested in further career develoment, including advanced training in the use of modern high throughput sequencing tools and other cutting edge technologies, to study liver biology and its impact on human health. Prior experience working with mice is essential.
Primary duties include:
- Molecular biology studies involving design, generation and sequencing of plasmid vectors, isolation of RNA from mouse tissue and from tissue culture cells, qPCR analysis, and NGS sequence library preparation
- Cell culture studies, including preparation of viral vectors for gene delivery, gene knockdown and epigenetic reprogramming of genes in mouse liver
- Conducting in vivo mouse studies, including treatment of mice with hormones, nucleic acid and viral vectors, and exposure to environmental chemicals, by ip, iv or sc injection
- Learning to operate various pieces of lab equipment, including FACS analysis, and image analysis of histological samples prepared by Core lab facility
- Data analysis, including analysis of RNA-seq data and data from other high throughput sequencing methods
- Preparation of reports for presentation at weekly group lab meetings
- Assistance with maintenance of database/inventory of specialized laboratory materials, supplies and records
- Contribute to laboratory equipment maintenance along with other lab members
- Strict adherence to animal care guidelines, laboratory safety, biohazard and other lab requirements
- Training of new lab members in various techniques and mentoring rotating or early-stage graduate students and undergraduate students.
- Development and learning new experimental methods and assays.
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree preferred.
- 3 to 5 years' experience required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.