Senior Environmental Scientist
Req ID 5196Senior Environmental ScientistWho We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. Were looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. Thats why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
Golder is now officially part of WSP, adding approximately 7,000 consultants and service providers across Canada, the United States, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe and Africa. Golders world class expertise within the Earth and Environmental sector and Mining industry will be added to WSPs platform, creating new opportunities for employees and clients. Together we become the leading global environmental consulting firm, with approximately 14,000 environmental experts.
Golder is not just a place to work, it is a promise of a living, dynamic environment where people collaborate, innovate, build enduring relationships, excel, and grow professionally in a strong culture of ownership.This Opportunity
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Full Time Senior Environmental Scientist for our St. Louis, MO office. The following locations will also be considered: Austin, TX; Dallas, TX, Houston, Texas. Be involved in projects with our Earth & Environment Team and be a part of a growing team that meets our clients objectives and solves their challenges.
In this role you will have the opportunity to work on environmental projects and proposal efforts that typically involve Phase I environmental site assessment, site characterization and investigation, and remediation. You will provide technical assistance and guidance for the collection, identification, compiling, and analysis of observational and spatial data concerning a variety of biological, physical, and earth sciences; support and guidance for multi-site/phase environmental work and environmental permitting projects. Our ideal candidate will develop processes and infrastructure relating to water supply, air emission, pollution control, cultural impact, and preserving the quality of the environment by identifying, controlling, and preventing disruption to environmental systems and species caused by human activity. Substantiates documentation to advise on project areas by applying and integrating the science of interactions between the physical, chemical, and biological components of the environment to solve environmental challenges. Assists project leadership with environmental impact assessment, corrective/mitigation strategy development, permitting, and/or restoration activities. Ensures that responsibilities are delivered and adhered to with a level of quality that meets or exceeds acceptable industry standards.Your Impact
Who You AreRequired Qualifications
- Provide project management support on a wide variety of environmental projects including site assessment, remediation, compliance programs, Phase I environmental site assessments, and sampling/monitoring.
- Manage subsurface investigations which including drilling, geologic/geotechnical logging and environmental media sampling.
- Maintain quality control standards and procedures for accurate and precise measurements.
- Prepare cost estimates, proposals, reports, including documentation field investigative procedures, data management and interpretation, development of graphical and tabular presentation of data, and Phase 1 environmental site assessments.
- Perform professional environmental science work and conduct investigations, inspections, and environmental studies and surveys to gain further information on a particular environmental problem or issue, verify site characteristics, and/or to plan for future environmental needs.
- Assist with verifying the characteristics of a site, providing technical assistance on various environmental issues.
- Work closely with other WSP project managers to meet client expectations with regards to defined project objectives, schedule, budget, change management, problem solving, and project deliverables.
- Assist with development and scoping of medium-sized projects.
- Assist with overseeing and working with cross-functional teams in executing project work.
- Prepare and implement site Health and Safety Plans (HASPs).
- Interact with regulatory agencies, subcontractors, and clients in a confident and professional manner.
- Conduct research as appropriate and assist with proposal development.
- Work with cross-functional teams in executing project work.
- Remain current in latest environmental science subject matter and techniques.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSPs Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
- Bachelors Degree in Environmental Science, Ecology, Natural Resource Management, or a related life sciences field.
- 5 to 7 years of experience working as an environmental scientist and completing environmental surveys, fieldwork, habitat and impact assessments, and/or construction monitoring.
- Prior experience with GIS software and Trimble GPS units and ability to use technology for data collection.
- Possess demonstrated skills with specific ecosystem, habitat, and/or applicable species experience required.
- Working knowledge and experience with State and Federal protection regulations, guidelines, and consulting processes pertaining to the specific environmental science position.
- Familiarity with local, state, and federal permitting agencies.
- Demonstrated experience contributing to technical reports, preparing environmental impact evaluations, siting reports, and environmental permit applications, including field surveys and reporting, and resource and impact evaluations.
- Project management experience with small to mid-level projects including tracking hours and expenses for project work.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to a scientific and non-scientific audience.
- Highly capable self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently and provide guidance and leadership to junior team or project members, with strict adherence to QA/QC.
- Proficiency with business writing, office automation and communication software, technology, and tools.
- Developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, and identify the most effective solutions to accomplish objectives of assigned projects.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSPs health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Masters Degree is preferred.
- 40-Hour OSHA Health & Safety Training (HAZWOPER) (29 CFR 1910.120) preferred.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Travel Required: 25%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: BALLWIN - BARRETT PKWY DR
- All locations: US-TX-Austin, US-TX-Corpus Christi, US-TX-Dallas, US-TX-Houston
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employees career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.