GFL Environmental is looking for a Regional Environmental Health and Safety Manager
to join our team in Indiana!
The incumbent will act as the primary environmental, health, safety, and general compliance contact and subject matter expert for all operations within their designated region to ensure compliance with the company's EHS Policies, Programs and permit or regulatory obligations which govern our business. This role is pivotal to mitigating exposure to risk by leading, planning, coordinating, and implementing EHS management systems including training, branch visits/audits, regulatory updates employee observations, and accident investigations. Seek ways to improve Health, Safety and Risk Management to better impact the attitudes, behaviors and well-being of all employees and those they encounter.Key Responsibilities:
General Safety Matters:
- Work directly with Operations to ensure effective adherence to the company's EHS programs including regular facility assessments to ensure facility compliance with general regulatory/permit requirements as well as company requirements. Conduct routine and random audits through SEMS and provide feedback. Work with operations and Permit Compliance team on any issues identified.
- Provide Operations support in managing incidents, ensure they are appropriately captured, reviewed for root cause, identify effective corrective actions, and are tracked to completion.
- Support in best management practices through continuous improvement through incident management and communication to minimize accident/injury frequency and minimize risk.
- Communicate with Operations on overall KPI's through SEMS.
- Provide feedback and support to other departments within EHS&C and other support functions, to assist in improvement of safety program development, training content, best management practices, standard work instructions, and overall improvement to company policies and programs.
- Subject matter expert for region in EHS working with Corp EHS&C.
- Support new acquisition integration as it relates to EHS functions.
- Maintain a working knowledge of safety theory, regulations and Company policy.
- Ensure SEMS record keeping for safety meetings, DOT logs and files, VCR's and vehicle inspection reports.
- Conduct observations from a variety of perspectives including landfill, in cab, pre/post trip, and randomly conduct blind observations.
- Provide operational support to ensure new-hire driver training is being conducted (follow up in SEMS).
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Maintain a working knowledge of basic environmental principles and standards.
- Work with Operations and other EHS&C team members to provide feedback on any issues identified to provide continues improvement and avoid any potential noncompliance situation.
- Perform routine audits per SEMS. Provide coaching and guidance to Operations.
Additional Working Conditions + Physical Demands:
- 4 year degree in safety, environment, EHS management, or relevant experience.
- Minimum 4+ years of experience in EHS compliance.
- Expertise and extensive knowledge of OSHA, general knowledge of DOT and EPA or applicable state regulations.
- Ability to gain exposure to some of the complex tasks within the job function.
- Deadline driven with excellent organizational skills.
- Advanced computer skills with proficiency and working knowledge in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Capability to handle multiple tasks and work well under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Candidates must be comfortable with a fast paced, opportunity filled work environment.
- Maintain work by effectively using problem solving skills.
- Ability to develop processes and procedures as well as initiate tasks related to job requirements.
- A quick learner with solid work habits who works well under pressure with constant re-prioritization of duties.
- Maintains the highest levels of integrity and confidentiality regarding company information.
- Must have strong interpersonal, oral and written communication as well as presentation skills with the ability to communicate to all levels within the organization.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, establish priorities, and accomplish goals and objectives.
- Work in indoor environment 60% of the time, remainder of time will be spend outdoors at hauling companies, transfer stations, MRF and landfill or other physical locations
- Environmental noise level is usually moderate to loud
- Occasionally exposed to loud noise, humidity, hot and cold weather conditions, moving mechanical parts, vibration, toxic and caustic chemicals, fumes and airborne particles
- Travel is required within region
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
GFL Environmental an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities to apply. We seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.