Seeking a Research Microbiologist I in Laurel, MD to support research projects developing methods to isolate, detect, and characterize bacterial food pathogens. The work requires the use of scientific methods, procedures, and techniques in bacteriology and molecular biology. Essential Job Functions:
Necessary Skills and Knowledge:
- Operate basic and advanced laboratory equipment, including next-generation sequencers, qPCR instruments, incubators, thermal cyclers, and other lab equipment.
- Perform nucleic acid extractions and prepare samples to run on PCR or qPCR equipment.
- Prepare environmental samples such as soil, manure, water, etc. to run on next-generation sequencers.
- Maintains complete and accurate files for all procedures.
- Record and analyze results, organize data, perform basic computations, and develop reports and summaries of analyses.
- Knowledge and experience with molecular biology lab techniques including qPCR, PCR, nucleic acid extraction, and Next Generation Sequencing (NGS).
- Knowledge and experience with bacteria.
- Knowledge of Good Laboratory Practice ( GLP ).
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Microbiology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, or related field.
- At least 1 - 2 years of recent research laboratory environment.
- Must have experience with qPCR, PCR, Next Generation Sequencing (NGS), and bacteria.