POSITION TITLE: Product Manager, Climate & Energy Roadmap
REPORTS TO: EVP, Climate & Energy
Department: Climate & Energy
LOCATION: Los Angeles / Remote
XPRIZE is a global future-positive movement of 1M people and rising. As a 501(c)3, XPRIZE delivers truly radical breakthroughs for the benefit of humanity and solves some of the worlds greatest challenges. Active competitions include $100M XPRIZE Carbon Removal, $10M XPRIZE Rainforest, $5M XPRIZE Rapid Reskilling, $10M ANA Avatar XPRIZE, $15M Feed the Next Billion XPRIZE. Join XPRIZE to help create a better future for everyone, everywhere.
XPRIZE is seeking a highly skilled Product Manager (PM) to lead the development of a roadmap of critical interventions needed in fighting climate change, and the related energy transition, between today and the year 2050. This PM role will be a mixture of working with technical content supplied by subject matter experts in the climate and energy fields, knowledge translation and communication of each recommended intervention, and creative design of a digital roadmap communication and engagement tool. A first rough draft of a digital roadmap by November 2022 is the key deliverable for this role. The construction of this kind of roadmap is a new emerging product for XPRIZE. Future roadmaps planned in Climate and Energy (2023), as well as in XPRIZEs other focus areas, will learn from this initial work preparing a draft roadmap for Climate and Energy.We anticipate that many of the critical interventions needed between today and the year 2050 will not in fact be XPRIZE competitions, or incentive prizes more generally, but instead may involve collaborations, research, business, government, citizen, or investor action. XPRIZE is seeking individuals for this role who are passionate about using innovation to drive positive social change in climate change and energy.
The Product Manager will have three key responsibilities. First, the PM will participate in a series of conversations with subject matter experts, thought leaders, entrepreneurs, and investors in the climate and energy spaces that XPRIZE is organizing from May 2022 through September 2022 (Global Visioneering). The focus of these conversations will be to identify key gaps, needs, and opportunities for XPRIZE competitions and other non-prize interventions in climate and energy. As an observer in this process, you will have the opportunity to take notes and synthesize knowledge shared from those sessions to use as inputs into the draft roadmap.
Second, the PM will be responsible for researching other similar roadmaps, future predictions, action plans, research agendas, and other related documents published by business, academic, government, investor, or other organizations that may be helpful reference materials for XRPIZEs roadmap work.
Third, the PM will develop concepts for creative and effective design of a digital roadmap product, working with designers from our Marketing and Communications team. The visual design, user interface, and curation of content in the roadmap are all flexible. As PM on this project you will have freedom to propose compelling, interesting, and engaging ways of producing a digital roadmap.
- Attend Global Visioneering ideation sessions (virtual; Zoom) from May 2022 through September 2022, taking detailed notes of the conversations, noting consensus or strong opinions on key required interventions for possible inclusion in the draft roadmap
- Research external roadmaps, planning documents, future visions etc from other organizations in academia, business, investing, NGOs, others; catalog these products, and conduct analysis of their strengths and weaknesses
- Explore other examples of digital future-looking action plans, roadmaps, or interactive information displays
- Stay up to date on broader conversations about the science, technology, and social innovation required over the coming decades in climate and energy
- Serve as a resource and source of information on climate and energy trends for XPRIZE colleagues in the Climate and Energy Domain, which includes prize competitions like the $100M XPRIZE Carbon Removal, and an emerging Clean Energy Alliance group of thought leaders convened during the Global Visioneering process
- Develops project plans and goals to complete a draft roadmap by October 2022
- Engage with the marketing and communications teams to explore ways of presenting and curating information in a roadmap
- Bachelors degree required; Masters degree preferred;
- Experience and expertise in scientific communication, digital publishing, digital information design, research, and information synthesis
- 3+ years of product management, product design, research, and/or strategic communication consulting or other relevant experience;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Excellent analytical and information synthesis;
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment within diverse teams;