The R&D Physical Testing Researcher/Lab Lead is a hybrid position involving dual roles: one as a Physical Testing Researcher individual technical contributor and one overseeing the Physical Testing Laboratory operations, including supervising the Physical Testing Laboratory Associates.
Roles & Responsibilities
• Drive GoalZERO HSE performance and behaviors through active engagement and employee involvement to provide a safe work environment.
• Ensure Physical Testing Laboratory operations are functioning at a high level, in order to deliver timely results on projects and business needs.
• Propose and maintain 5-yr CAPEX plan for the Physical Testing Lab and progress lab projects to support the business, as needed.
• Maintain Physical Testing Laboratory in compliance with Corporate OE Standards, A2LA ISO 17025, governmental requirements, environmental procedures and permit status.
• Oversee high reliability of lab equipment via on-time PM, PSOP reviews, MOC, permitting, job plans, etc.
• Direct and support thorough hazard analyses of laboratory operations and process equipment.
• Perform duties associated with ownership of assigned site policies and standards and supports PT Lab involvement in CTC OE Self-Assessments.
• Demonstrate leadership and the ability to positively influence and enhance individual and team performance to achieve common goals.
• Lead the technical development of laboratory team; providing fundamental polymer knowledge, design of experiment review, data analysis support and oversight of the production of technical reports.
• Serve as a focal point for physical property testing and polymer morphology questions from internal and external customers.
• Conduct investigations into laboratory testing issues based on a fundamental understanding of both the polymer properties and the contributing method variables.
• Independently advance ideas for future research projects. Lead research groups to complete projects on time and on budget.
• Ensure completion of written documentation of both personal and group projects.
• Work with manufacturing and non-US research sites to harmonize test results and standardize test methods.
• Participate at relevant national ASTM/ISO meetings
• Provide technical subject matter expertise (SME) or become known as a technical SME and a company resource in polymer morphology, structure property relationships and fracture mechanics
• Lead and participate in cross-functional project teams including R&D, Manufacturing, and Business colleagues.
• Work effectively with colleagues to plan, execute, problem solve, and communicate laboratory programs and experimental results related to product development, manufacturing and research project support.
• Interface with Technical Service, Marketing, Sales, Procurement, Product Management, Manufacturing, Product Safety, and Intellectual Property group members in support of business needs
• Interact and collaborate with global R&D colleagues to drive technology sharing between regions.
• Strong commitment to personal safety, process safety, and promoting a safe work environment.
• Requires occasional travel.
BS in Chemistry, Engineering or other directly-related technical field.
A minimum of 5-to-10 years of laboratory experience is required, preferably in the Polyolefins industry. A minimum of 5-10 years of supervisory experience is required.
The candidate must demonstrate a strong understanding of polymer physical property testing, polymer structure, and fracture mechanics along with a strong Safety attitude.
Builds effective teams
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2022, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for the fifth consecutive year.
We have the potential - and responsibility - to use this scale and reach to make a positive impact across our value chains. That's why we are working to make meaningful progress to address some of the world's most pressing challenges such as reducing plastic waste in the environment, helping to mitigate climate change and contributing to a thriving society for our employees, the communities where we operate and the people who depend on our products. To learn more, click here.
Nearest Major Market: Cincinnati