The Chattanooga Zoo
is looking for a Veterinary Technician with a passion for working with exotic animal species (including class 1/dangerous animals). The veterinary technician is the primary support to the staff veterinarian, general curator, and zoo patients. The technician must have strong attention to detail, respond quickly and calmly in crises, and maintain high standards of animal care. In the absence of the contracted veterinarian and animal curators, the technician will oversee animal health, animal care, and wildlife rehabilitation. The technician must have a basic knowledge of animal anatomy and physiology, as well as the principles of quarantine and isolation. Zoo, exotic animal, or wildlife experience is preferred, but the ability and enthusiasm to learn quickly is required. Responsibilities
- Monitor anesthesia for routine physicals, emergencies, and surgery in accordance with state regulations and zoo protocols. Maintain anesthesia and darting equipment.
- Take, develop, and record radiographs. Maintain radiograph equipment.
- Order medical supplies as needed.
- Maintain schedule for recording of weights, medication administration, and fecal collection.
- Administer or prepare medications (oral and injectable).
- Perform emergency procedures including: control bleeding; administer parenteral fluids and pharmacological agents under veterinary supervision; resuscitate with oxygen; establish open airways with intubation; perform external cardiac massage; apply temporary bandage and splints; provide external supportive treatment of wounds.
- Prepare all patients for surgery and assist during surgery as needed.
- Maintain emergency equipment and inventory.
- Maintain all capture equipment including dart equipment, and nets.
- Maintain animal records in MedArks, Arks, and Zims.
- Pest control monitoring.
- Maintain controlled drug and surgery records.
- Oversee cleanliness in infirmary and quarantine areas.
- Care for animals in the quarantine, infirmary, and off exhibit holding areas as needed.
- Maintain licenses (i.e. DEA) and permits required.
Animal Care staff are required to work weekends and holidays. Candidates with zoo or exotic animal experience as a veterinary technician or zookeeper is strongly preferred. Please list specific species experience. Candidate must have excellent teamwork skills and communicate with coworkers and supervisors effectively.
Candidate should have a degree from an accredited veterinary technician/technologist program or equivalent experience as a Veterinary Technician at an AZA accredited institution. Candidates with an LVMT from Tennessee or the ability to gain a Veterinary Technician license are preferred. Candidates experienced with class 1 species are strongly preferred. The candidate must be able to lift, bend, and twist 50 lbs. and must be able to work in all types of weather. The Chattanooga Zoo is a member of the Tennessee Drug Free Workplace program. A pre-employment drug test, tuberculin skin test, and a background check will be performed.
Due to the number of applications, we cannot take calls for this position. You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview. All applications are taken online through the Chattanooga Zoo's website: https://chattzoo.applicantpro.com/jobs/ Job Posted by ApplicantPro