Director of Natural Resources has the primary responsibility and accountable for systematic and consistent execution of projects which may include the supervision and management of people, resources, and clients for the mutual success of our Clients, Department, and Company. Responsibilities include coordination, communication, and enforcement of Company and Department processes, procedures, and standards and the promotion of Company culture and core values. They are responsible for fostering a positive working environment for their staff. Director of Natural Resources works directly with Environmental Practice Area Lead to assist with management of various aspects of the Environmental Department and expansion of client base.Duties And Responsibilities
Project, Client and Staff Management
- Coordinate resource needs with staff and other departments
- Forecast workload and address gaps or excessive workloads
- Manage projects, oversee and delegate projects and engage in planning, preparation and completion of project deliverables
- Represent our Company in communications with clients for assigned projects regularly throughout the entire project and in marketing activities after project completion
- Prepare agreements/proposals including scope, schedule, fees, and terms and conditions and communicate to staff
- Responsible for the financial performance of projects and proactively address changes in scope, billing processes and schedules
- Follow Accounting and Department procedures for invoicing and collections
- Communicate regularly with supervisor of any significant challenge, deviation from procedures and metrics, or incidents that occurs on projects
- Assists with marketing efforts for expansion of client base and penetration of new markets
Technical and Practice Leadership
- Responsible and accountable for coordination, input, and enforcement of all technical aspects and policies of the Department and Company
- Analyze complex technical problems and devise new or improved techniques, approaches, and alternative solutions
- Provide quality control/quality assurance consistent with Company and Department standards and the requirements of our clients and regulatory agencies
- Complete monthly invoicing of projects
- Assist with delineations, stream classifications, riparian buffer determinations, threatened & endangered species surveys, preparation of Jurisdictional Determination Requests, Riparian Buffer Determination Requests, reports and permit applications as needed to meet project deadlines
- Oversee and, if needed, prepare Individual Permit applications
- Lead, supervise, and monitor Staff Members to achieve the goals and strategies for the Department
- Lead and/or participate in mentoring, career path planning and development (including training plans), performance plans, mentoring, and resource sharing for all supervised Team Members
- Implement effective communication, performance management, as well as identify strategic skills needed to achieve Company, Department, and project goals.
- Participate in Department/Company recruitment efforts and for the Wetlands/Natural Resources Group as directed
- Foster a positive environment; engage in Company, Department, and Staff meetings routinely, team building efforts, and community involvement
- Report and assist HR in the resolution of personnel issues
Client and Business Development
- Responsible for cultivation of existing relationships including periodic client meetings, proposal and budget development, and obtaining feedback in conjunction with Marketing and Department personnel as required
- Seek opportunities for cross-selling to enhance and expand our existing client relationships during and after projects
- Assist in strategic pursuit of potential clients per Department initiatives and our core values
- Bachelor's Degree in Physical/Biological Sciences, Environmental Science/Planning, Forestry, Engineering, Geology, Natural Resources or related field of study.
- 10+ years of environmental consulting experience, preferably in NC; 7+ years of project management and team leadership experience.
- Strong leadership and project management skills, as well as exceptional interpersonal skills necessary to effectively manage and train staff.
- Knowledge of contracts and accounting principles, including budgeting and forecasting.
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proven track record of fostering existing client relationships
- Demonstrate personal investment in your career
- Energetic, flexible, confident, and forward thinking
- Must have a valid North Carolina driver's license and good driving record.
We promote work-life harmony with flexibility and associated accountability through performance. The position will require an appropriate level of effort to engage in the above qualifications with occasional evening and weekend work, occasional job site visits outdoors, and working in collaborative, fast-paced, and client-driven environment.Physical Requirements
The assignment may occasionally require repetitive physical tasks (such as operating a computer), standing and/or sitting for extended periods of time, extended time travelling in a vehicle, and carrying equipment and materials up to 25 pounds.
WithersRavenel is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, military service, or other non-merit factors protected by federal, state, or local laws. At WithersRavenel, we strive to build and nurture a culture where diversity, inclusivity, and belonging are a normal part of doing business, not an initiative. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. By hiring highly talented people who align with our Core Values, we continue to enrich and broaden our ownership community, as well as the employee and client experience. This purposeful approach to diversity and inclusion leads to greater commitment, collaboration, and effectiveness in our culture, work, and lives.