Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.Job Category
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.Salary Range
$146,200.00 - $241,200.00Target Openings
1What Is the Opportunity?
Solid reputation, passionate people, and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
The Travelers Catastrophe Risk Management Group is seeking a CAT Senior Director to join our PERILS team. You will be joining a group of dedicated professionals charged with leading Travelers to be in position to successfully endure catastrophic loss from natural and man-made perils.
The PERILS team is a multi-discipline group focusing on peril research, the development of next generation analytics, and event response activities. As a member of this team you will be an active participant in the development and implementation of peril research and strategies. The team engages in enterprise-wide complex multi-disciplinary CAT research projects with various depths of focus. The position requires an individual who can strive in an analytical, innovation-driven environment, in tune with business needs.
This role may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices.
We are seeking a candidate with a solid analytical base in a scientific, engineering, or related quantitative discipline. The person will have effective self-organizational and time-management skills with the ability to work independently and formulate and execute project objectives. We seek problem solving and critical thinking skills in support of the team's efforts to provide best-in-class analyses to our business partners in CAT-prone areas.Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide thought leadership and execution for the peril of wildfire
- Partner with other subject matter experts to develop and implement our wildfire View or Risk
- Identify, select, and extract relevant data from various internal and external sources. Complete analyses and present recommendations to team members, stakeholders, and Leadership
- Validate wildfire Catastrophe Probabilistic Models and Risk Indexes
- Stay abreast of the latest scientific research and summarize findings for the wildfire peril, including impacts of climate change on the peril
- Perform catastrophe peril research, partnering with other subject matter experts
- Research identified emerging issues related to the wildfire peril
- Drive innovation through new tools/technologies and capabilities
- Monitor the Company's exposures, aggregations, and peril-specific book mix changes
- Support our Business Units Consulting and Actuarial functions with ad-hoc research and peril strategy development
- Create and maintain collaborative relationships with business partners
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Master's degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Decision Sciences, Actuarial Science or related analytical STEM field plus six years of experience or any suitable and equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Heavy concentration in mathematics, including statistics and programming, business intelligence/analytics, as well as data science tools and research using large data sets. Additional verification of specific coursework will be required.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite, SQL, geospatial, statistical packages, or other programs used to retrieve and analyze data
- Intermediate knowledge of insurance concepts, coverage, products, and operations preferred.
- Working knowledge of a programming language such as Python/R/Matlab/Fortran preferred
- Experience with at least one of the leading vendor catastrophe models
- Works well both independently & within a team, strong organization, and time management
- Demonstrated ability to convey technical concepts across professional fields of discipline
- Working experience with at least one programming language required
- Analytical and critical thinking: Ability to find ways to use available data sources to answer questions and solve problems. Ability to synthesize complex multivariate problems
- Communication: Ability to communicate scientific, mathematical, statistical, and financial concepts to non-technical audiences. This position offers high visibility and opportunities for interaction with senior management
- Accountability: Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance, and results
- Change Management/Resilience: Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands
- Communication: Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Judgment/Decision Making: Exercises sound judgment, makes decisions and commits to a position
- Leveraging Differences: Works with and includes people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters, and maintains productive relationships, networks, or alliances to meet goals and achieve results
- Teamwork: Works together in situations when actions are interdependent, and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result
This role may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices.#LI-Remote#LI-HybridEmployment Practices
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.