Wood Mackenzie is the global leader in data, analysis and consulting across the energy, chemicals, metals, mining, power and renewables sectors.
Founded in 1973, our success has always been underpinned by the simple principle of providing trusted research and advice that makes a difference to our customers. Today we have over 2,000 customers ranging from the largest global energy companies and financial institutions to governments as well as smaller market specialists.
Our teams are located around the world. This enables us to stay closely connected with customers and the markets and sectors we cover. Collectively this allows us to offer a compelling combination of global commodity analysis with detailed local market knowledge.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We are committed to creating a workplace that works for you and encourage everyone to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It's the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It's why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It's the aim of our "returnship" program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it's what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers' problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We've been recognized by Forbes as a World's Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk's Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.Job Description
As a key member of our Americas Metals & Mining Consulting team, you will be responsible for managing commercial and strategy consultancy projects across metals & mining space in the North America and Latin America markets, including a growing component of energy transition-related engagements. The position requires the ability to apply detailed knowledge and experience of the metals & mining industry to a broad range of consulting projects and client situations.
The ideal candidate has an analytical mind-set with the ability to apply detailed knowledge and experience of the commodity markets to a broad range of consulting projects, commodity types and client situations. These analytical capabilities must be accompanied by a strong command of oral and written communication skills in both internal as well as external and client-facing environments. Additionally, the role demands outstanding team management capabilities, in a consulting context, with an understanding of coaching and other team development techniques. Finally, sound delivery planning and managing skills in a client-facing environment are required for the purpose of this role.
The principal focus of the role is on the the Latin America market, however, the job holder may be involved in a range of consulting projects spanning other regions of the world, especially North America, but also potential experiences in Europe, the Middle East, Africa or the Asia-Pacific regions. The successful candidate can thus expect a reasonable degree of national and international travel.Main Responsibilities
As a Principal Consultant at Wood Mackenzie you will lead our consulting assignments and business development efforts. Your main responsibilities will be:
- Understand the global and regional metals & mining market dynamics within the context of the energy transition, being able to effectively discuss recent event and implications with clients and colleagues (Consulting and Research)
- Engage clients to identify potential business opportunities, translating open-ended business inquiries into formal project proposals: effectively identify the ideal project methodology, properly scoping the associated work (identifying relevant work-streams and type of resources required to complete) and put forward a high-level work-plan and appropriate pricing
- Execute and manage complex consulting projects and specific workstreams within larger projects, effectively setting up a detailed project plan and executing work towards key milestones. You will be ultimately responsible to execute such work on time and within budget.
- Become the main point of contact with key client stakeholders during project delivery (status calls, presentations) and to channel specific market inquiries
- Train, coach and mentor junior consultants
- Engage consulting colleagues across other sector groups and with Wood Mackenzie research staff to deliver the best value to our clients
- Generate innovative ideas and approaches to industry issues, both within particular assignments and to the consulting practice as a whole
Knowledge & Experience Required
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline such as business, economics, finance, statistics, or engineering; master's and/or MBA preferred.
- Previous experience (7+ years) in project execution and as project manager in a commodity / metals & mining focused consulting role or a strategic project management/advisor role within the natural resource space.
- Strong understanding of the metals value chain (exploration, mining, smelting, refining, transformation and commercialization), including the implications of the energy transition.
- Strong understanding of the bulks and/or base metals commodities, with ideally experience working on issues related to copper, steel, iron ore or aluminium
- Strong understanding of commercial operations, business models and strategies.
- Experience managing and executing consulting engagements, or alternatively experience in a commercial or project management role within a metals & mining company.
- Some experience in business development (transform open-ended business questions into actionable work proposals): developing a consulting scope of work and associated work-plans.
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with clients
- Track record of quickly becoming knowledgeable and speaking credibly about a wide-range of subjects and themes.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.Consumer Privacy Notice
At Verisk, the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. Effective November 15, 2021, and subject to applicable law, all prospective hires for office based roles or roles that support any of our businesses' government contracts will be required to demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, or qualify for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement, as a condition of employment. Hired candidates who do not demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, and who have not been approved for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation will no longer meet the requirements for employment and their offers of employment will be immediately rescinded, in accordance with applicable law.