A Non-Profit Professional Society Promoting Research, Education, and Awareness of Weeds in Managed and Natural Ecosystems
Product Biology Technical Manager
Posted on March 11, 2012
Date of posting here March 11, 2012
Type of position Full Time
Location Raleigh, NC
Benefits Syngenta offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including market-based pay, health/dental insurance, a generous 401(k) program, paid time off, tuition reimbursement and relocation assistance.
Closing date of competition 04/11/2012
Date position available 03/12/2012
Description of duties Role Purpose:
- Establish center of excellence for understanding and development of insect resistance management (IRM) strategies supporting global GM traits and chemistry research, development and commercialization; and within an integrated crop context.
- Understand and implement strategies and studies to enable Syngenta to meet and influence regulatory requirements for GM insect trait registrations and stewardship conditions of registration working with a cross-functional team.
- Lead the development of a comprehensive cross-crop / cross-influencer / cross-business insect resistance management strategy and guide implementation of best practice globally.
- Drive the development of North American insecticidal trait resistance management strategies to meet regulatory, durability and stewardship requirements while ensuring a fit with crop business strategies to include chemistry and integrated crop strategies.
- Provide key linkage to chemistry research, development and commercialization concerning trait developments and chemistry synergy and fit.
- Establish best practices for meeting North American commmerical trait registration conditions and stewardship concerning IRM including development of required biology data, modelling considerations, development of a rapid response plan to reports of suspected insect resistance, and a mitigation plan to verified cases of insect resistance to Syngenta's traits to include chemistry tactics.
- Adapt and transfer IRM strategy and best practice to global regions according to global commercial strategy.
- Provide technical input on approaches to discovery of insecticidal trait leads with novel modes of action versus key pests.
- Provide advice on commercial construct design and lead event selection ensuring appropriate candidate events are promoted with desirable IRM attributes.
- Analyze and respond to the current competitive IRM environment to include forecasting future directions/trends for IRM plans and regulatory requirements.
- Interact with university scientists, customer groups, governmental scientists and regulatory agencies to influence IRM regulations, promote good stewardship practices, and increase awareness of the IRM benefits from Syngenta's trait and chemistry offerings, either independently or in collaboration with other companies.
Qualifications sought Critical knowledge: :
- An in-depth knowledge of insecticides
- Ph.D. in entomology or closely related field.
- Background and understanding of key aspects of insecticidal trait development, commercialization, regulation and stewardship.
- At least ten years of experience in IRM trait biology including assay development, resistance modeling, experimental design, and interactions with regulatory and other functional groups.
- Working understanding/competence of processes and systems required for data capture, analysis and presentation.
- Membership on teams demonstrating significant contributions and leadership.
- Demonstrated accomplishments in the field with excellent public speaking effectiveness
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Team player with engaging and proactive communication style.
- Ability to manage transitional change including shifting organizational responsibilities from marketing to product biology and vice versa.
- Must be able to focus on key projects and prioritize accordingly.
- Ability to maintain objectivity in the face of diversity.
Critical technical, professional, & personal capabilities:
- Ability to synthesize technical information from various sources to enable key insights to enhance Syngenta competitiveness.
- Comfort with multi-tasking
- Strong project management skills supported by excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication.
- Willingness and ability to influence internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to make sound decisions based on critical data analyses.
- Opportunistic, can-do attitude.
- Simplify the complex.
Critical Leadership Capabilities:
- Innovative, challenge the status quo
- Independent and pragmatic
- Manages for performance
- Communicates with impact
Two years current position preferred. Candidates who have been in their current position a minimum of one year will be considered if they have the approval of their current business unit leader and hiring business unit leader.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the United States.