The EHS Staff Specialist, Environment is responsible for supporting and executing EHS Environment strategy and corporate programs at the San Diego (SD) Site level while influencing the Region. This individual will drive EHS improvements in the site and ensure compliance with applicable environmental laws and regulations and effective risk management. The vision for Illumina is that every Illumina employee will be a leader in EHS. The EHS Staff Specialist, Environment is an individual contributor and will play a key role in helping Illumina AMR region achieve this vision through high engagement and empowerment with our employees.Responsibilities:
- Partner with site leaders to implement sustaining programs, controls, and safeguards which ensure environmental compliance.
- Lead, support and manage implementation of EHS Environment programs (Hazardous Waste, Medical Waste, Universal Waste, Air Emissions, Industrial Wastewater, Storm Water, Refrigerant Management, Inputs for Corporate Social Responsibility Reporting, Environmental Reporting, Influence Recycling and Sustainability Regulations).
- Support and/or lead Request for Proposal (RFP) process as it related to environmental management services. In addition, help develop and monitor via performance score card vendor services.
- Lead continuous improvement efforts for all environmental aspects and build a business case study (return-on-investment) per calendar budget period timeline.
- Execute environmental reporting requirements for site applicable air, water, waste requirements. (CERS, Biennial, TRI, SMARTS, CARB, etc.)
- Onboarding and decommissioning of buildings at the SD site and support AMR region.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to solve EHS environment related challenges and reduce business and compliance risk.
- Partner with business leaders to engage all business functions in environment and sustainability programs.
- Support functional areas within site and serve as primary point of contact for EHS sustaining efforts and new initiatives.
- Assist EHS audits within AMR region with a focus on environment for new and existing processes.
- Lead and manage EHS environmental assessments for all parts of the AMR business.
- Promote, reinforce and sustain a strong safety culture through regional engagement with site leadership, regional EHS teams, and operational teams.
- Drive the implementation of EHS management system for environmental elements.
- Proactively support and lead program/project (Cerberus) development and execution using RACI methodology.
- Develop and deliver training which help develop strong Environmental EHS leaders and specialists.
- Investigate environmental release incidents and near misses with the goal of finding root causes and implementing ways to prevent recurrence across the region.
- Support and influence global environmental initiatives and tools (policy, software tools, campaigns).
- Consult with site leads for interface with regulatory agencies on assigned EHS environmental matters.
- A minimum of 8 years of related experience.
- A strong technical understanding of environmental regulations that are applicable to life science industry at research and development, pilot plant, and production scale.
- Ability to leading environmental EHS programs in a fast paced, dynamic, cross functional and highly collaborative environment.
- Strong customer service, creativity, skills, and ability to support "EHS Leader" culture which inspires others to desire and achieve EHS excellence.
- Experience and desire to build strong partnerships with leaders, employees and integrate a proactive safety culture throughout all levels of the organization.
- Energetic and positive enthusiasm disposition.
- Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to show adaptability, prioritize and execute work among competing priorities.
- Effective educator and strong ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- Minimum of BS Degree in, Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering.
- Professional Safety Certification preferred (CSP, CHMM, etc.)