If you care about the environment and want to do work that improves our planet, consider joining our team as an Environmental Scientist II! If you enjoy having a large variety of work in a fast-paced environment, check us out. For over 46 years, Bay West LLC (Bay West) has been a recognized leader delivering Environmental Solutions nation-wide and we're proud of our stellar safety programs and records. We're a unique mix of expertise and strong tenured employees in the following services: Environmental Consulting, Engineering, Emergency Response and Waste Management for a mixed portfolio of Federal, State, Municipal, & Industrial/Commercial clients.
Due to the growth of Bay West, we are seeking an Environmental Scientist II who will assist on various activities on commercial projects for private sector, state, county, and municipal clients, as well as state funded contaminated sites for the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT), Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA), Wisconsin DOT and Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WDNR). In this position you will report to Bay West's St. Paul office but will allow flexible home office reporting (needs to be in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area) when work task appropriate. Responsibilities:
- Provide technical and field support on various environmental site assessments; investigation of contaminated soil, sediment, and groundwater; construction observation; and preparation of drilling logs, geologic maps, cross-sections and technical reports
- Observe drilling and monitoring well installation, classifying soil and bedrock samples, and collect samples for field screening and laboratory analysis
- Accurately prepare soil boring logs, hydrographs, groundwater contour maps, field notes, sketches and other documentation of actions undertaken during site investigation and remediation projects
- Supervise the correct installation of soil borings, monitoring wells, recovery wells (vapor phase and water) and treatment systems
- Oversee the proper excavation of contaminated soil during remediation and construction projects.
- Oversee various highway construction projects as well as conducting roadway preconstruction environmental investigations
- Participate in a rotating 24-hour on-call shift one week out of every six to nine. On call teams are responsible for supporting emergency response activities (as needed)
- Communicate effectively with internal and external customers in a courteous and professional manner.
- Provide open communication with Team Leader on ways to improve Bay West techniques, operations, and functions
- Prepare technical documents including Work Plans, Budgets, Phase II Environmental Site Assessment (ESA) reports, Limited Site Investigation (LSI) reports, Annual Monitoring Reports (AMR), and Corrective Action (CA) reports
- Provide support to the project manager with the coordination of field activities and preparation of various documents
- Support cost estimates and proposals & effectively qualify and select subcontractors
- Conduct hazardous materials surveys and inspections
- Conduct asbestos inspections (Bay West will coordinate this training and licensure as necessary)
BAY WEST OFFERS A ROBUST BENEFITS PACKAGE INCLUDING
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental Science, Geology, or a related technical field
- 40-Hour HAZWOPER training (Bay West will provide if necessary)
- Valid driver's license
- Minimum 3-5 years of project support experience with state environmental restoration projects and familiarity with the MPCA technical guidance documents
- Must have the willingness and ability to accurately interpret and apply knowledge of environmental theories, processes, and state and federal reporting requirements
- Outstanding technical writing and communication skills
- Must foster friendly, positive, productive, and team relationships
- Ability to read and understand maps, schematic drawings, diagrams, and instruction manuals
- Must be willing and able to travel to various sites throughout the Midwest up to 50% of the time
- Licensure in Minnesota as an asbestos inspector (Bay West will coordinate if necessary)
- MDH certified asbestos site supervisor
- Experience with air monitoring or have NIOSH 582 equivalency course training (Bay West will coordinate if necessary)
- Employer subsidized medical, health savings account and dental plan
- Employer paid vacation time, sick time, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage
- Additional benefit options including 401(k) plan, vision coverage, supplemental life insurance, critical illness and accident coverage, dependent care and healthcare flexible spending accounts
- Support and encouragement to obtain additional credentials and certifications
- Culture that empowers all employees to stop a job - we walk the safety talk!
- Competitive wages and individual consideration as your expertise and responsibilities expand
- Business casual environment with great co-workers
Bay West is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. Bay West is an EEO/AA Employer Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employer.