At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Bristol-Myers Squibb in Syracuse, NY is looking for a remarkable Microbiological Associate Scientist to join our dynamic team! As our Associate Scientist, you will help support the onsite small scale commercial manufacturing facility. The Associate Scientist conducts routine microbiological laboratory testing of raw materials and products for in-process, release and stability samples in compliance with all applicable methods, procedures, protocols and regulatory requirements. Additionally, the Associate Scientist performs lab analysis of environmental and utility samples and identification of microorganisms according to defined procedures.*This is a 10 hour day shift position for Mon/Tues/Thurs/Friday. Holiday Coverage is required.Duties/Responsibilities:
- Perform laboratory analysis of samples, using aseptic technique, following established procedures and in full compliance with official compendia, health authority regulations, and established BMS policies.
- Conduct qualification of methods and/or other laboratory studies, according to scientific protocols.
- Maintains accurate records of work performed and documents results, according to good documentation practices and established procedures as well as perform data entry into LES/LIMS.
- Assist with review of worksheets, as assigned.
- Assists in the investigation of OOS results in areas of assigned responsibility.
- Operates and maintains laboratory instruments, while ensuring the reliability of instrumentation through proper maintenance, with ability to troubleshoot minor issues.
- Must analyze, evaluate, and interpret data, notifying clients of results, and assisting to resolve issues, if applicable.
- Identify opportunities for workflow and procedural improvements.
- Promotes quality, safety and health, by ensuring clean work area, and adherence to procedures and safety culture.
- The Associate Scientist must participate and lead continuous improvement using lean principles to assist with streamlining and making the laboratory efficient.
- B.S. degree in Microbiology, Biological Sciences
- Previous experience in a QC Micro Lab preferred.
- Has knowledge of aseptic technique and QC microbiological testing and procedures, with the application and interpretation of GMP concepts and compendia requirements to daily laboratory operations.
- Possesses technical knowledge and understanding of testing and is capable of training others in laboratory procedures and methods.
- Has technical understanding of sampling, methods, equipment, and procedures in work area.
- Demonstrates ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously and complete assignments in a timely and compliant manner, with minimal supervision.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
This position is a lab-based position which requires appropriate levels of personal protective equipment (PPE). This role will require contact with biohazardous materials such as live cell cultures and other hazardous chemicals including methotrexate, acids, and caustics. Powdered materials and high temperature liquids and solids are also handled. Frequent repeated motions such as pipetting, lifting, bending, twisting, squatting, crouching, kneeling, climbing on step-stools, and reaching is required. This role also requires frequent unassisted lifting (not to exceed 50 lbs). Repetitive use of arms/hands/wrists and grasping is also required. Depending on the work demands, office-based work requires sitting.Work Environment:
This position is based indoors in a laboratory and primarily working with others, but also independently and alone at times. This position is a team-based position that will require shift work, weekends, and holiday
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.