Specific Diagnostics is looking for a microbiologist! Come join a growing company about to make a real difference in treating sepsis patients.
Bloodstream infection leading to sepsis is responsible for more than half of all deaths in hospitals and is the most expensive condition treated in hospitals. Sepsis mortality rate increases >6% every hour without effective antibiotic treatment. Nevertheless, current methodologies require 3 days to determine the correct antibiotic to treat a sepsis patient.
Specific Diagnostics has developed a breakthrough solution to rapidly determine the effective antibiotic treatment for bloodstream and other acute infections. Used for bloodstream infection Specific's solution provides results 2 days sooner (1 day vs 3 days).
We offer an opportunity to join us at an inflection point in our commercial growth, with our first commercial product being released new venture capital funding and recognition from major customers and government agencies fueling an expansion of our staff.
Specific is seeking a Microbiologist with experience in R&D. The role includes experimental research and development to create a cutting-edge In Vitro Diagnostics (IVD) platform. Ideally, you have proven expertise in planning and executing laboratory experiments, data acquisition, data interpretation and presentation.
The position is for a full time, M-F 9am -5:30pm.
- Processing and testing clinical and quality control bacteria using aseptic technique and lab safety protocols in a developing GMP environment.
- Perform antibiotic microdilution and agar dilution bioassay tests.
- Plate streaking and culture media preparation.
- Antibiotic solution preparations.
- Working independently and as a member of a cross-functional team to support microbiology research and development.
- Assist in writing and revising methods and SOP's.
- Perform assigned special projects including facility development.
- Review and sign microbiological, quality, and process development reports.
- Able to work independently with minimum supervision.
The job requires knowledge and proficiency in standard microbiological methods such as dilution and enumeration of microorganisms, stocking frozen strains, isolation, and identification of pathogenic microorganisms, preparation and sterilization of culture media, aseptic techniques, components of culture media, and impact on growth.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Microbiology or related science discipline.
- Only candidates with experience in a Microbiology laboratory will be considered.
- Relevant microbiology experience (preferred).
- Experience in aseptic techniques required
- Minimum, 1 year of laboratory bench experience required.
- Clinical Microbiology Laboratory experience is a plus.
- Self-motivated with proven proficiency in data analysis, research design, troubleshooting, and evaluation of new technologies and procedures.
- Knowledge of accepted clinical laboratory practice and procedures including handling of potentially infectious material (preferred).
- Experienced with the standard tools and methods of microbiology, such as pipetting, plating, identification, media preparation, including working in anaerobic environments.
- Ability to build effective relationships and collaborate with team members across various levels of technical expertise, from technicians through advanced scientists
- Knowledge of computer skills, quality control, and instrument maintenance.
- A team player that works well independently as well as part of a team and functions well in a fast-paced biotech start-up.
- Authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis, full fluency (verbal and written) of the English language is a must.